Travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnS

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I am going away in Feb to Australia and New zealand for a month. I would like advice on travel packs available to keep insulin cool. Its mainly the flight as I am on a cruise and will have access to a fridge. Any advice is welcome

Frio packs are the obvious suggestion. I have been using them for many, many years. They are not lightweight when activated, but they work and to keep things cool all you need is more water. I have tried to find anything better and tried various different things and I keep coming back to them. Kind of given up finding anything else.
Will be interested if anyone has found otherwise.

As insulin survives with no problems out of the fridge at room temperature and some over zealous security officer at airports may get upset by the gel in Frio packs, in your situation, @AnnS , I would be happy to keep my insulin in my hand luggage (in a clear plastic bag - again for airport security) sandwiched within a sweater for insulation.
If you take your insulin out of the fridge as you leave home and place it ina fridge when you arrive in Oz, you only need to think of losing about 48 hours from the 30 day room temperature Life when you next remove it from the fridge.
Some people seem to be obsessed about keeping insulin at fridge temperature but this is not necessary.

As far as I understand, there is no need to keep insulin cool on a flight as long as you pop any not in use pens/cartridges in the fridge as soon as you get there and it isn't exposed to excessive heat or freezing. Cabin temperature in your hand luggage should be fine. Mark the number of days it has been out of the fridge on the box or label if you need to and that can be deducted from the time it can be in use ie 28days or whatever, when you start to use that pen or cartridge.

I agree to some extent with the above posts but what kind of temperature will the insulin be subject to when you get there? One person I know, also type 1, travelled abroad to a hot climate and had major issues with her insulin and her treatment as it became too hot And didn’t work correctly.
I always err on the side of caution, at the end of the day, it’s what keeps me alive.
At the airport it is very hit and miss. A lot of the time through security they do make you take it out of the frio pack (but they have little sleeve inserts you can buy now) and have it separate in the tray to be scanned. Not a big issue.
At the end of the day it is each individual’s choice how they look after their meds.
When I pick up my insulin from the chemist, they always store it in the fridge. I wouldn’t be too happy if they said it hadnt been for a day or two.

@Popglobe2022 i am a frequent traveller.
I use Frio when I am out doors in a very hot climate for long periods. However, between airport and hotel has never been an issue as it is rare to spend long time out doors in the heat between the shuttle or taxi. This includes a recent business trip to Dubai where the temperature was in the 40s.
When erring on the side of caution, I would rather keep my Frio in-activated through airport security so able to use it at the other end than risk losing them due to airport security dislike of the activated gel which I have heard of being an issue more than once.Unlike at a pharmacy, the insulin is always under my control so I can ensure my hand luggage does not sit next to a radiator and I know how long it is out of the fridge.

I also strongly recommend getting reusable insulin pens if you do already have them as the cartridges are much easier to carry (although i’d suggest taking a spare pen) and deal with security … who often want it in a clear plastic bag with all other liquids in hand luggage.

I write this with 20 years of personal experience taking insulin on hundreds of flights rather than hearsay.

One person I know, also type 1, travelled abroad to a hot climate
Yes, absolutely, and the Cochrane report doesn't say all kinds of heat is ok. So if you're going somewhere where it'll regularly be over 30 then use Frio. Just there's likely no need to worry about ordinary room temperatures, and no need to worry about rushing insulin to the next fridge.

My supply of cartridges just goes, in bubble-wrap for protection, along with everything else in my hand luggage. We went to Singapore/New Zealand many years ago in February and despite high temperatures in Singapore and the North Island, I had no problems. You just have to be sensible and not leave insulin on a sunny windowsill or near a radiator (though I have done that at home, inadvertently, with no ill- effects whatsoever)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back