Travel to Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikerp

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, first time posting. I will be traveling to Perth later in the year from Heathrow. I am type 2 but take insulin as well as Metformin and other medication in tablet form. I will get a letter from my Diabetes Sister that's no problem. I will need to take at least 2 boxes of 5 pens and my mobile testing device which I can carry in my hand luggage. Will the boxes need to be put inside the clear plastic bags?

Do you have refillable pens? If not, I recommend requesting them. The cartridges take up far less space in your luggage (and fridge) than 10 insulin pens, especially if you are asked to put them in clear plastic bags.
I recommend keeping at least one box with the details on it, but it will not have to go in the bag. You can flatten it.

Don't forget to also take hypo treatment (which I recommend keeping with you in your airline seat rather than in the overhead locker) and spare batteries for your meter.

Enjoy Perth - it is a beautiful city.

Well they exist! Just ask for them. They are more expensive to produce - but far far better in terms of saving the planet from plastic waste.

so you have a refillable pen and a bottle of insulin and keep topping it up. How long do the pens last?

so you have a refillable pen and a bottle of insulin and keep topping it up. How long do the pens last?
You have an insulin pen and replaceable cartridges which contain 300 units of insulin each (just like a pen does).
A cartridge is easy to remove and insert a new one and lasts the same length as a singe use pen.
A pen lasts years - my first pen lasted 8 years but I think that is a little extreme so I would estimate 4 or 5 years but I tend to carry a spare when I go overnight because they never fail at a convenient time.

The reusable pens are much more robust that the single use ones ... and less waste so better for the environment.

There are different pens for different insulin manufacturers but they all behave a similar way. The NovoPen Echo shows you in pictures what I am trying to explain in words.

I will speak to my Diabetes sister. My original point is when you fly do the pens have to go into the clear plastic bags?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back