Travel sickness

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoebeC

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
currently on the 6.22am train to London. Feeling very green. Last time I did this journey I felt the same, i’d just forgotten I did. Didn’t feel normal coloured all day and then had to get back on in the evening. Anyone got any suggestions?
I’m at a workshop for my training course but honestly I don’t know how I’ll think I feel gross :confused:

currently on the 6.22am train to London. Feeling very green. Last time I did this journey I felt the same, i’d just forgotten I did. Didn’t feel normal coloured all day and then had to get back on in the evening. Anyone got any suggestions?
I’m at a workshop for my training course but honestly I don’t know how I’ll think I feel gross :confused:
Ugh! Poor you.
Either keep your eyes fixed on a point on the horizon, or close them. Don’t try and read.
Feel on your inside left wrist for the gap between the two tendons, about an inch from where your hand joins on, and keep massaging it gently with your right thumb. (swap hands from time to time.It s an acupressure point, and what those sea band things work on.
If you can find a pharmacy, buy some stugeron and take one straight way, ready for the return trip. ( they work better if taken in advance, but taking them just before travel will help too)
If you need to eat to balance insulin levels, keep taking little nibbles of something plain (non fatty) and sweet to keep your levels up.
Good luck!

Poor you, there’s nothing worse. @Robin’s advice sounds good I would add to keep hydrated, water rather then coffee or tea though. Have you any mints or chewing gum? I often have an awful taste in my mouth when I’m nauseous and that helps. Good luck for on the way home. X

Make sure you’re in a forward facing seat too, preferably next to the window. Small hand held fan might help. Poor you, travel sickness is the pits.

Nibble ginger nuts, standard treatment. Is it a Pendolino that you’re on? Some folk can’t tolerate them.

You can quite easily get 'seasick' on a Pendolino - or indeed on a smelly diesel. Yes it may well be the fastest option BUT.

Pop into a chemist and get some travel sickness tablets or try some ginger that's well known for curing travel sickness and morning sickness as well.

Holland & Barrett do ginger root capsules, I have found these effective as a preventative for sea sickness. Not as tasty as a ginger nut but fewer carbs!

Thanks all! Sadly I had a backwards seat and it was rammed.
It was the pendilino I think, the Euston to Glasgow
I don’t have to go on it again for a few weeks, might need to again soon.
I will be sure to do all of these things ha!

Thanks all! Sadly I had a backwards seat and it was rammed.
It was the pendilino I think, the Euston to Glasgow
I don’t have to go on it again for a few weeks, might need to again soon.
I will be sure to do all of these things ha!
“Could we swap seats please, so I don’t puke on your shoes”

Poor you, I can’t go in my father in law’s car, it makes me horribly sick. That’s easily avoided though, the train isn’t :(

PhoebeC, probably telling you something you know, but if you book on the National Rail Enquiries web site you can book a seat and choose the facing direction. Then, if the booking system is actually working on the train.......

...and if some git actually gives up your reserved seat.

Or that carriage is actually on the train that day! I booked a seat on carriage D a few weeks ago, train came only A,B and C! What’s the point in booking? If someone sits on your reserved seat give them a “ mum stare” they’ll soon shift! :D

PhoebeC, probably telling you something you know, but if you book on the National Rail Enquiries web site you can book a seat and choose the facing direction. Then, if the booking system is actually working on the train.......
I didn’t book it as it was booked by our receptionist, and she’s annoyed enough at having to book travel, I wouldn’t dare make such a request :D

what do you do if you believe you will have at least 1, possibly 2 benefit assessments next year and you have travel sickness to the point you vomit every 5 to 7 miles (depending on the straightness of the road). I cannot prevent this and it has got worse due to cutting down a medication that I have to stop and have been on an anti sickness pill before (prescribed). The nearest center is about 25 miles away. I am in a wheelchair. I can only walk about 15yds (14M). I want a home assessment but my Dr. who knows me is retiring this year and the others are not much cop. I had to tell them I had diabetes as they missed it even with symptoms that I now know should have been obviousand they examined me and said nothing was wrong! Even then had 3 blood tests to confirm and it took a year after my first bring it up by that time my dr. came round in his lunch hour saying I may have to go into hospital and recommended I did as my level was so high. My HbA1c had been in prediabetic range for at least 2yrs and nobody told me! Wanted a home assessment as I am housebound without mum driving me. She takes me everywhere but I often miss the sick bucket and arrive covered in vomit. I could also have a hypo that could be fatal and the dr said if that happens take sugar. After being sick eating sugar doesn't sound very sensible as it would probably make me vomit again.
The DWP are less than helpful and have conned me out of substantial amounts of money that I was entitled to. They also take months to reply on your UC journal and then never answer the question properly and make huge errors and deliberately mis-inform you saying you aren't entetled to things that you are and when after working all my life my first giro envelope was deliberately sent empty. They tried to con me out of that saying it cannot be replaced for 3 months. They lie a lot!
I am also Autistic and they spotted that and used it to their advantage to con me out of over £32,000. over 20 years as I believed everything they told me even when they didn't pay me the same as my friends when I first left home saying my parents should support me as they paid the deposit and I was 42yrs old. (I know better than to believe them now!).
I have tried ginger as previously suggested.

I would ask for a home assessment using both the travel sickness and autism as reasons. I don't know if they may still be doing some assessments as telephone calls next year as well, they are this year (and you can ask for it to be recorded)

what do you do if you believe you will have at least 1, possibly 2 benefit assessments next year and you have travel sickness to the point you vomit every 5 to 7 miles (depending on the straightness of the road). I cannot prevent this and it has got worse due to cutting down a medication that I have to stop and have been on an anti sickness pill before (prescribed). The nearest center is about 25 miles away. I am in a wheelchair. I can only walk about 15yds (14M). I want a home assessment but my Dr. who knows me is retiring this year and the others are not much cop. I had to tell them I had diabetes as they missed it even with symptoms that I now know should have been obviousand they examined me and said nothing was wrong! Even then had 3 blood tests to confirm and it took a year after my first bring it up by that time my dr. came round in his lunch hour saying I may have to go into hospital and recommended I did as my level was so high. My HbA1c had been in prediabetic range for at least 2yrs and nobody told me! Wanted a home assessment as I am housebound without mum driving me
Most assessments are done over the phone or video these days. You can also insist on a home visit if they want to see you. Get your GP to write a letter in support if need be.
Oh and if anyone tries to force you travel then quote the disability discrimination act 2010. It works wonders.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back