Travel Sharps Bins

Status
Not open for further replies.

pawprint91

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Are these necessary when flying? If so, does anybody have any good recommendations? My usual sharps bin size (that I use at home) is 1 litre. Thank you!

Thanks @Inka. I wasn’t sure if I needed to carry one (see photo attached for the airlines guidelines) but it sounds more as though they want you to put in them in the sharps container they have on board?IMG_7849.png

They are NOT necessary.
I use a small empty water bottle. I decant it into my home sharps bin at the end of my trip.
No airline has ever paid any attention to my sharps or even my diabetes.

I use empty transparent drinks bottles so everything is clearly visible. In countries like Australia and Switzerland I have found Sharps Disposal Points as they acknowledge the fact there are druggies, diabetics and others on injectable. The only country I have had issues is the UK where in general security staff are poorly trained!

I agree sounds like they have a container on board but I do have a travel sharps box as my old job gave me one which I empty into my large box when I get home.

I’ve never had need to change a needle on a flight, even a transatlantic flight as I am naughty and use the same needle more than once! 😳 I also use an empty drinks bottle on holiday and just put that in the bin before leaving home.

For travelling (not specifically for flights), I use small energy/juice-shot-type bottles for a sharps bin. They're significantly smaller than juice or water bottles and hold closer to what I need.

The bottles I get are 60ml and can hold about 40 needles and 10 lancets. If I think I'll need more than that on a trip, I bring two of the bottles. Ketostix tubs (the white opaque bottles that hold 50 urine test strips) hold about the same number of needles and lancets.

I make sure I get bottles that are made of sturdy plastic and have a mouth wide enough so needles and lancets can go in and out without getting stuck sideways (I decant them into my home sharps bin after my trip).

I keep an old test strip tub in my bag as a mini sharps bin, re-labeled so I know it's sharps, not strips. That can hold 5 needles and a few lancets.

I was the same as @eggyg and reused needles in my pens so one needle covered at least a day (and the rest!) and the lancets very rarely got changed. Not what they tell us to do, I know.

My advice is to.save your money and space in your luggage. As mentioned above, they are not necessary.
I didn’t suggest buy that but some organisations insist on them such as my old work so was only saying in case anyone needed to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back