Travel insurance and claims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I'm travelling within Europe in the next couple weeks and I'm wondering where do people get their insurance from?
Money supermarket ones all seem to have bad reviews when it comes to making claims and so do the one recommended on this site.
Has anyone made a successful claim on a company or know anyone who has? Which one was it?

Yep - did something to my knee in Majorca a few years back - paid for by the insurer, a company called Kingfisher who were just the one that the package holiday co (and I can't recall who that was, may have been Cosmos) used.

Since then when we went to Oz I claimed on the travel cover we got nominally free with our Lloyd's Bank Platinum account - but the actual co was AXA Insurance and they were fine too.

Both of those, we did have to do a lot of it ourselves, but to be honest no different to what we'd have done here. Did my knee, saw the GP in resort - he said I'd have to go to the clinic in Palma, fortunately we had a hire car but we could have taken a taxi, got a receipt and claimed the cost back if we hadn't had the car. He looked up the list of insurers he had in his drawer and told me which one they used so we just got the hotel to locate it on the map of Palma for us and off we drove. Handed over the policy when we arrived, they took all the details before passing me through to see a doc and it was I presume settled direct with them. I mean here - my husband or someone would have had to drive me to A&E so what's the difference? Difference is if I'd needed a taxi here - I'd have had to pay for that myself! LOL

I'm travelling within Europe in the next couple weeks and I'm wondering where do people get their insurance from?
Money supermarket ones all seem to have bad reviews when it comes to making claims and so do the one recommended on this site.
Has anyone made a successful claim on a company or know anyone who has? Which one was it?
I had to claim because I got diagnosed the week I was due to go to Stockholm to run a marathon there! 😱 The company stonewalled me for quite a while, as many (most?) of them do, but I played the trump card of threatening them with an official complaint. Having worked in financial services for a while I knew that if a company receives a certain number of official complaints then they would be investigated by (back then) the Financial Services Authority, so they do everything they can to avoid getting them. Sure enough, I actually received a phone call - on a Sunday afternoon! - agreeing to pay my claim.

I'm afraid I wouldn't recommend that company, but just a tip for anyone who runs into a problem when they have a genuine complaint 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back