Travel - Iceland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manda

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

I'm planning on going to Iceland in about a months time for one week, where the temperature will often be below 0 degrees. I will be driving around and not staying in one place, so carrying my insulin and supplies with me. I was wondering whether anyone has any tips on protecting insulin in these types of conditions so that it doesn't freeze? I can only find products to stop it from getting to warm!

Thank you 🙂

Hi,

I'm planning on going to Iceland in about a months time for one week, where the temperature will often be below 0 degrees. I will be driving around and not staying in one place, so carrying my insulin and supplies with me. I was wondering whether anyone has any tips on protecting insulin in these types of conditions so that it doesn't freeze? I can only find products to stop it from getting to warm!

Thank you 🙂
Ooh, jealous! I've been to Iceland a couple of times. Fantastic place.
I'd have thought that provided you keep your insulin ( and glucose monitor, which can stop working if too cold) in an inside pocket, ie, somewhere between your base layers and your outside layer, it should stay warm enough.

If you are driving the interior of the car should be warm enough. Alternatively an insulated food or picnic bag with a small thermos of tea/coffee/water in it - the slow loss of heat would keep temperature up.
I've got some battery powered insoles for cycling and these will last for up to 7 hours, one of these would keep your insulin cosy.

Ahh amazing, thank you both for your help! I have a picnic bag and thermos flask I can take with me, perfect 🙂

What about putting your insulin in an empty thermos flask. Put your meter in a pocket close to your body the body heat should keep it above whatever degrees it needs to be to work. Iceland how lovely healthiest place on the planet. Hope you have a great time .

Hi I was just about to make a similar request. The info on the DUK site is about the issues connected with being abroad, not how to carry your insulin safely. I even rang up the insulin producer and didn't get any help from them either. I am conscious about keeping stuff close to the body because obviously it can't go above 30 degrees. I am thinking about wrapping mine in fleece and keeping it in either the middle of my rucksack on an inside pocket of my down jacket. I was in Poland recently and my meter stopped working with the cold. I ended up taking the batteries out and warming them in my hands, then they were OK. So maybe spare batteries carried with your insulin to keep them warm in case. I guess the cold will drain the batteries quicker anyway. My problem is that I am going to be in the great outdoors, not in a nice warm car. Anyone any thoughts about that? I can't really trek with extra flasks etc but I need to keep my insulin safe. Apparently at lower than about 2 degrees the container can start to crack and cause real problems. Also, final thought, make sure you carry your insulin in your hand luggage as it is not safe in the hold- you will also need a GP letter about your meds in case someone asks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back