Travel bag cooling question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finwiz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Wanted to purchase a small bag for normal UK / foreign travel. I see a few cooling bags on Amazon. My understanding is that the insulin pen should be kept at room temperature. So, using the cool ice packs; does it not place the pens below the room temperature? I was also thinking of using a travel bag for a long evening out as well.

If you’re just going to be away for a short time, you can keep your insulin at room temperature. If you’re going away for a longer time, then I recommend a Frio pouch not ice packs as they can damage the insulin @Finwiz

I second @Inka's choice of Frio packs to keep insulin cool.
I have taken mine around the world including camping in India, Venezuela and the Moroccan desert as well as a very basic "hotel" in Ghana where there was no sign of a fridge. My insulin has been fine for all of my trips up to 3 weeks long.
The advantage of Frio is that they take up little room and just need water to keep the insulin cool as they work by evaporation.

Plus if you’re going to a hot country room temperature is a bit more than what our pens are used to in the UK. Too hot and your insulin may deteriorate, like wise too cold too. A Frio is my go to also.

Just a thought. If I go away for say 3 weeks. If I take a spare pen (at home these spare ones are in the fridge) in a Frio pouch, it will remain cool BUT not at fridge temperature. So, what is the life of this extra pen I take - is it 28 days from when I put it in Frio? If my current pen in the Frio has, say, 2 weeks left, I might have to throw the spare when it reaches 28 days although it may still have insulin in it.

Just a thought. If I go away for say 3 weeks. If I take a spare pen (at home these spare ones are in the fridge) in a Frio pouch, it will remain cool BUT not at fridge temperature. So, what is the life of this extra pen I take - is it 28 days from when I put it in Frio? If my current pen in the Frio has, say, 2 weeks left, I might have to throw the spare when it reaches 28 days although it may still have insulin in it.
I’d keep using it until it ran out unless bgs went high in which case I’d change it

I second @Inka's choice of Frio packs to keep insulin cool.
I have taken mine around the world including camping in India, Venezuela and the Moroccan desert as well as a very basic "hotel" in Ghana where there was no sign of a fridge. My insulin has been fine for all of my trips up to 3 weeks long.
The advantage of Frio is that they take up little room and just need water to keep the insulin cool as they work by evaporation.

Received the Frio case today. I guess whilst on day trip(s) in UK I can use the outer cover to carry the pen and needles. Very well made.

Received the Frio case today. I guess whilst on day trip(s) in UK I can use the outer cover to carry the pen and needles. Very well made.
Yes, that is what I do.
They last for ages - I bought my Frio wallet nearly 20 years ago and it is still going

I lost my outer case and used just the inner when we were in Tenerife last summer. I did use the fridge in the room for the spares.
Another benefit of pumping is now I only need that small bottle for backup spare in my bag.
Also needed it in Devon last May when camping, as it was so warm. You think you won’t need it much in the uk but it can be helpful

One further question. If I take a spare pen out of my Fridge and use Frio wallet to take it to a warm country (warmer than fridge temprature), can I then put it in a fridge? i.e. can a pen taken out of fridge be put back into a fridge?

One further question. If I take a spare pen out of my Fridge and use Frio wallet to take it to a warm country (warmer than fridge temprature), can I then put it in a fridge? i.e. can a pen taken out of fridge be put back into a fridge?

I would do that. My feeling is that the clock starts ticking when the insulin comes up to room temperature - and that if I put it back in the fridge, the insulin goes back into ‘stasis’. I have no idea if it actually works like that… but that’s been my approach for 30 years, and I’ve not observed any BG disasters as a result!

Oh, and another plus-one for Frio. Cooling by evaporation, so no risk of overdoing it by contact with an ice block 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back