Travel Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z1997

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I am 25 years old and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 6 months ago. I am travelling to Prague at the end of July and was wondering which bags/cool bags people recommend to store glucose monitor + keep insulin cool,

Thanks,

Zack

I use Frio to keep my insulin cool when travelling.
They are great because they do not need a fridge: just water.
i have found no reason to keep my glucose meter cool.

Thanks for your response @helli . Another quick question, what do you regarding the sharps bin when you are abroad?

Thanks for your response @helli . Another quick question, what do you regarding the sharps bin when you are abroad?
I take a small bottle (an empty small water bottle is ideal) and put my needles in there until I get home when I decant them into my sharps bin.

Just keep used needles in eg an empty water bottle - anything you happen to have with a lid that you can bung at the bottom of your case/bag when travelling home, and decant em into a proper one when you get home. BG test lancets are actually multi-use in 'normally clean' environments eg homes and offices, though maybe not on the factory floor or definitely not whilst eg mucking out the stables.

Oh yes of course I know exactly what the NHS and manufacturers all tell us - so explain to me then if that is 100% true, why the standard Worldwide T1 joke is that we all have to change our lancets once a year on St Swithin's day?

I've only ever been issued with 1 litre sharps bins and takes months and months to fill em.

BG test lancets are actually multi-use in 'normally clean' environments eg homes and offices, though maybe not on the factory floor or definitely not whilst eg mucking out the stables.
Speak for yourself Jenny! I adhere to the annual St Swithin's day lancet change same as everyone else and regularly check BG at stables as mucking out often causes hypos. No washing facilities and don't subscribe to using wipes for environmental reasons. Wipe the first drop of blood away(usually on back of other hand) and test the second. Never had a problem. My hands get cut on far worse things up at the yard than a lancet that has only ever pierced my own skin multiple times. Bit of dirt is good for the immune system in my opinion!

I got almost 3 years out of my first 1 litre Sharpsafe box! 😎

I don't travel abroad so can't offer any personal insight on OP's original question though, but looks like everyone else has it covered.

Enjoy your trip @Z1997

When I’ve been on short breaks (weekend+) in Europe I’ve not felt the need to bother with a frio bag. I just kept my insulin in the cool of the hotel room as it’s fine at ambient temps for 28 days.

When packed in hand luggage it mostly gets buried in the centre of the bag, and seems to get a degree of thermal projection from everything around it.

The trips weren’t in blazing summer temps though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back