travel & activity restrictions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copepod

Much missed Moderator
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
One of those "friend of a friend" questions, that might have lost some details along the way...

A contact recently told me that a friend with diabetes had been refused by all companies to take her diving. Type of diabetes, complications, hypoglycaemia history etc all unknown. A quick search revealed this set of guidelines issued by PADI, one of the main international SCUBA diving schemes: http://astherlau.wordpress.com/2007/06/12/guidelines-for-recreational-diving-with-diabetes-by-padi/ and http://www.ukdiving.co.uk/information/medicine/diabetes.htm which covers the 3 UK diving schemes, BSAC, SSA and SSAC.

So, does anyone have any comments about diving companies that have accepted or refused to take some with diabetes - please include details such as presence / absence of complications, whether person dived before getting diabetes etc, country / location etc. Primarily, I'm looking for solutions.

I'd also be interested to broaden the debate to inlcude other adventure sports eg bungee jumping, gliding / flying / hang gliding etc. I know there are already threads on private pilot licences and tandem parachuting. The simple answer is perhaps to go with friends, rather than companies, but while that might be practical for some activities, there aren'y many private bungee jumping facilities, for example.

Many thanks.

Just a sugestion, would the diving company take the friend if accompanied by non diabetic friends who knew what to do in a worst case scenario? And presumably this aproach could be taken for all extreme sports willing to take the risk?

Can't make too many comments as the most extreme thing I do is to commute in London

I do know a guy who is type 1, no complications etc who does a lot of 'free diving' around the world. I was surprised that he did it but from what he was saying he'd never had any major problems in getting to do it. I'll see if I can find some more details from him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back