Tour de France for athletes with diabetes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Phil Southerland set his sights on Athens for his first development camp for junior athletes with Type 1 diabetes.

Looking less than a decade down the road, Southerland, a Georgia graduate, said he hopes to see his Team Novo Nordisk cyclists traversing France in the sport?s most heralded race.

Last week?s development camp featured athletes from age 15-18 hailing from 10 different nations, and Southerland said he hopes they are just the start of a ?pipeline? to a professional team.

?I hope that in the years to come we can have 100 juniors, who turn into 30 development riders, who turn into 10 professionals,? Southerland, the team?s CEO, said in an email. ?If we can repeat this year after year, we will continue to strengthen our program, our performance, and our impact.?

http://onlineathens.com/sports/2013...ne-pro-races-tour-de-france-athletes-diabetes

Wow! Good luck to them. As much as I enjoy cycling, I'm not-so-secretly glad they're not inviting us ageing T2s!

There's also a campaign to have a parallel TdF for women. Might be up and running by the time femal Team Novo Nordisk development rides become professionals.

But not by next year, when TdF first 2 stages are in Yorkshire, then 1 in Cambridgeshire - looking forward to being involved 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back