Total daily doses for T1s LADAs and 3cs?

leonS

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Here's another - T2s never have Ketones/Non diabetics don't have them either.
As both insulin and glucose are needed for the burning of fat if you lower BG and deplete liver's reserves you will not get full burning of the fat and will get what is known as starvation keytones. This might be no bad thing as you are burning fat and loosing weight (assuming that that was what you intended to do).

Here are two more doubtful statements:-
Too much salt is bad for you.
Fat slows down the absorption of glucose when treating hypos.

Hepato-pancreato

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Cancer's literally halved my daily units. In 12 months i've gone from using between 65-75u per day, to approx 30-35u per day. Mind you i also lost approximately 30kg's in weight.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Fat slows down the absorption of glucose when treating hypos.

Well you may say that's doubtful, but I can observe that response in my sensor traces and BG fingerstick hypo recovery checks. So it's something that seems to be true in my case. :)

Last edited:

gabriele

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
When I started LCHF my GP adviced me to increased the Basal to 60 - 75 % .. She wanted me to be on the safe side , just in case I will get an infection . It turns out this was very wise . I'm a very healthy person , taking no medication , only insulin but sometimes I get a cold or a bug . Ketosis and DKA are two different things but under certain circumstances can develop quickly and pose a risk . Most of the time I'm in ketosis , without it , I couldn't do all my sports . Ketosis safes me from hypos and gives me the energy I need to run 10 , 15 miles in the morning For me , diabetes is contolled by diet , Insulin , exercise and lifestyle . Everybody is different and everybody chooses the way they want to live .

As an extrem lowcarber there is never enough salt .
I was 30 years old when I got my diabetic star
Over the years my amound of insulin has halved

MikeyBikey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I am Type 1 and my total daily dose is ~60 units split fairly equally between neutral and insulatard (porcine insulins).

Ivostas66

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Interesting post - when I did course just after diagnosis a couple of years ago, the range in the room was quite astonishing.

Anyway, I have a dose of 8 Basal (Toujeo) each morning. I average about 18 Bolus throughout the day, unless I am having something 'carby' for lunch or dinner. 26 total for me then.

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Interesting post - when I did course just after diagnosis a couple of years ago, the range in the room was quite astonishing.

Anyway, I have a dose of 8 Basal (Toujeo) each morning. I average about 18 Bolus throughout the day, unless I am having something 'carby' for lunch or dinner. 26 total for me then.
I should have checked this first when answering your other post Matt.
My suggestions still stands. A half unit pen is great for making smaller adjustments.

KookyCat

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi folks
been lurking again but not posting much, but this thread caught my eye because I’ve been having frustrating conversations with the medicals on this very topic. So I’m 6ft and 75 kilos, my maximum daily dose is 14 units, and basal is only 5 units. I break every rule in their book, so they thought MODY for a minute but the three sets of tests confirm strongly positive for antibodies and Zinc transporter 8 (so type 1 it is) and also some remaining insulin production but nowt to write home about. They don’t like it though, it perplexes them. My body fat percentage is very low though, lower than you’d expect from my BMI and apparently that can make a person very sensitive to insulin. I can’t take more than 5 units of bolus, if I do I’ll have a hypo regardless of how much carb. It’s interesting, but I wish the medicals would pin back their ear flaps and be a bit more open to hearing patient experience. To be honest I rarely engage with them anymore, they’re irrelevant to me when it comes to management because they didn’t listen. I’m a data analyst by trade, so I know trends, ratios and patterns. I worked it out myself because their advice was just useless to me since I don’t follow any of the rules they’re working with.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Such a shame more HCPs don't frequent and contribute to the forum. They could really learn a lot, as we all do here from sharing our experiences.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
It's worth saying though - I'm afraid you are simply lumbered with whatever you get, depending on where you live. I may have been lucky in the West Midlands, both in Worcestershire and Warwickshire with both GPs and hospital diabetes clinics cos they've usually all been on my side. Some of them are still convinced I'm going to have heart trouble and don't think the fact that statins make me ill mentally should be any problem to me - sorry, but quality of life is far more important to me than the length of it - so thank you for telling me what you honestly think, but don't expect me to suddenly change my mind. It is MY life, not yours!

I say what I think and finally say I'm 100% prepared to agree to disagree and they can please themselves whether they do too. They're still treating my diabetes and I still listen to their advice on that. I've never had to particularly fall out about that - and 'my lot' have always agreed that we're all different - though similar in some ways!

Matt Cycle

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Interesting thread. I'm nominating myself as a classic T1. :) Pump 30 day average says TDD 45.2u, Basal:Bolus 49:51%, total carbs 221g. This 30 day includes a week of horrendous high levels for some reason with lots of corrections and an increase of 2-3 u basal. Was averaging around 35-40u a day earlier this year.

My BMI is 19.4 and I had a C-Pep just before I got the pump which came back as undetectable.

I believe someone said T1 typical (is there such a thing?) TDD is around 0.5 to 0.7 of your weight in kg which I suppose must be based on some sort of science. I don't think they're comparable i.e. endogenous/exogenous but there must be a rough measurement of what a non T1D uses in terms of units. I'm currently 67kg so just fit in at the top end of the 0.5 to 0.7 range. Expecting things to change back down with next basal testing.

PhoebeC

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
20 units of basal.
My carb to insulin ratio is 1CP : 2 units
I’m on about 6,10, 0 I try to go carb free at least one meal a day.

This is a lot less than I was put on 15 years ago, but I seem to be more reactive to certain carbs now. Yesterday I had 12 units with tea, roast potatoes and parsnips are so worth it though!

SweetGuy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
So some Type 1s are using as little as 20/30 units of insulin a day?

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
So some Type 1s are using as little as 20/30 units of insulin a day?
Yes, me personally am averaging around 28.5U a day at the moment, may I ask why this surprises you? xx

SweetGuy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Yes, me personally am averaging around 28.5U a day at the moment, may I ask why this surprises you? xx
Thanks for that Kaylz. I am a little shocked to be honest. I am presently doing 150U of Novomix 30 a day, plus Liraglutide, plus two Metformin SR 1000mg horse pills every day lol. I am a bit overweight but not massively.

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for that Kaylz. I am a little shocked to be honest. I am presently doing 150U of Novomix 30 a day, plus Liraglutide, plus two Metformin SR 1000mg horse pills every day lol. I am a bit overweight but not massively.
I see you are listed as Type 2, Type 2's are insulin resistant and require larger doses than Type 1's, Type 1's don't generally have insulin resistance and if they do it isn't to the same extent as Type 2's, Type 2 is insulin resistant, Type 1 is autoimmune, also Novomix 30 is a mixed insulin whereas most Type 1's are on a basal/bolus regime where we take basal to cover 24 hours once or twice a day and bolus to cover the carbohydrates in our meals, I'm sorry as a Type 1 I've never heard of Liraglutide but please do let me know what it does and what its purpose in your treatment regime is, have you ever enquired about moving to a basal/bolus regime? It is by FAR more flexible and there are a few Type 2's on here using this regime, sorry I don't mean to pry or ramble! lol xx

SweetGuy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I see you are listed as Type 2, Type 2's are insulin resistant and require larger doses than Type 1's, Type 1's don't generally have insulin resistance and if they do it isn't to the same extent as Type 2's, Type 2 is insulin resistant, Type 1 is autoimmune, also Novomix 30 is a mixed insulin whereas most Type 1's are on a basal/bolus regime where we take basal to cover 24 hours once or twice a day and bolus to cover the carbohydrates in our meals, I'm sorry as a Type 1 I've never heard of Liraglutide but please do let me know what it does and what its purpose in your treatment regime is, have you ever enquired about moving to a basal/bolus regime? It is by FAR more flexible and there are a few Type 2's on here using this regime, sorry I don't mean to pry or ramble! lol xx

Thanks for that. Liraglutide is probably better known as Victoza. I think the main reason I am on that now is to keep my weight down as its effect on BG has diminished since I first had it. I have been getting a bit despondent about the prospect of having to inject such large amounts forever. Obviously at the the rate of usage a single pen lasts less than two days lol.

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for that. Liraglutide is probably better known as Victoza. I think the main reason I am on that now is to keep my weight down as its effect on BG has diminished since I first had it. I have been getting a bit despondent about the prospect of having to inject such large amounts forever. Obviously at the the rate of usage a single pen lasts less than two days lol.
I'd ask about the possibily of switching to a basal/bolus regime, it would mean more injections but it may also reduce the high doses, I'm not sure if any of the other Type 2's that are on this regime have been on a mixed insulin but @Ljc could offer advice as a Type 2 basal/bolus user if she's around and see's this, I'm not saying it definitely would reduce your dosages but it certainly would be more flexible for you xx

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@SweetGuy
Have you done anything to modify your diet as that will have an enormous impact on the amount of insulin you need. Eating less carbohydrates will mean that you need less insulin and will also help with your insulin resistance. If you add in some daily exercise like a brisk walk, that will also help to reduce your insulin needs. Some Type 2s have managed to come off insulin by following a low carb (keto style) diet and it is quite an enjoyable way to eat once you get the hang of it and you rarely feel hungry which makes sticking to it so much easier.
I have to say, I hate injecting my morning Levemir (long acting insulin) because 16 units seems like such a huge amount and sometimes it blebs. I can't imagine what it must be like to have to inject more than twice that! I usually only need 2 meals a day and they are normally less than 5 units each, sometimes just 1 or 2 if I have no real carbs or I have had a very active day.