Total daily doses for T1s LADAs and 3cs?

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
We have a well known saying on the forum that ‘you need what you need’ when it comes to insulin doses, but a question from a new member made me begin to wonder what different levels of insulin doses we had among members of the forum with T1, LADA and Type 3c. (as T2s are more likely to be affected by insulin resistance).

Often starting ‘total daily doses’ for the newly diagnosed seem to be estimated based on units/kg with taller and heavier people generally needing more insulin. But I know slight T1s on high doses and

There’s no right or wrong dose - only what you need (neither high doses nor low doses are better or worse). And my expectation is that different people will have quite different needs because of differences in metabolism and sensitivity - plus general dietary intake, of course!

But just out of interest I wondered what the average TDD might be for various folks here. All of your basal doses and all meal doses.

Pumps often provide 7, 14, and 30 day averages, but MDIers will just have to make an estimate.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I’ll go first :)

My current 30 day average suggests around 31u/day.

It will be more than that in the winter. and may drop into the high 20s during the summer.

Anyone else happy to share theirs?

Robin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
As always with diabetes, 'it depends'. Carby or non-carby day?

Here goes. Basal 5 + 3.5 =8.5, plus 2 units of bolus in the morning that act like a basal boost.
Mealtimes, approx average 2+6+5

Total 23.5

....but there was that scone I had at my daughters yesterday afternoon, so another 3 there...

eggyg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
I would probably average around 30. Today will be 33 as had a carby tea. Probably wouldn’t go much over that.

DaveB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Interesting. Mine is 25 Basal (Levemir) and 20 Bolus (NovoRapid). My BMI is 22 i.e. slim and 59kg so I wonder why my units are that high? Of course the insulins you use affects the dosage and so does the carb intake. I'm around 150gm/day.

Bruce Stephens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
My BMI is 22 i.e. slim and 59kg so I wonder why my units are that high?

Yes, DSN's were surprised at my relatively high usage. I'm not slim, but my BMI's only 25ish (probably more like 26 by now) so only borderline overweight.

Freddie1966

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I use between 10 and 11 units a day , normally split 6 lantus , then 5 novarapid . My BMI is 20 and I’m only 5ft 1 . On a normal day I eat under 50 grms of carbs and walk about 4 to 5 miles . This normally keeps my levels between 5 and 7 all day and night . I’m type 1

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
5ft 3 on a tall day (shrinking as I get older, it's not a myth) and 9st 13 in all my clothes (just) but not at all big boned (just big bellied with no waist!) and I know my backside has spread these last lockdown months with not even any walking round Tescos! Approx TDD 25u, approx. 120g CHO daily though some days only 80g ish.

Freddie1966

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
This is a really interesting thread . I was once told by a consultant I couldn’t be type 1 as I didn’t use enough insulin . Blood tests confirmed I was . It does show just how much it varies

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
After diagnosis I was on 65 TDD - 45 novorapid and 20 lantus. Currently I'm on about 25 units novorapid only (ditched the basal in 2012). I have been as low as 5 TDD and as high as 40 TDD in recent years, so it can fluctuate over time, largely depending on my general health and how much exercise I'm getting :)

I've known T1s on here whose requirements are so low that they could only manage with a pump! :eek: Also, some with 200+ units TDD.

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
On a full day in range depending what my waking reading is its 24.5U TDD, 25 if I'm higher at breakfast xx

gabriele

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Im 5ft 1 , 50 kg and LCHF . My average is 12 - 15 units / day depents how much exercise I get . Running and weight lifting . I never bolus befor the afternoon .

KARNAK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Currently 40 units of Basal split 12 hours apart, Bolus is a 1:7 ratio can`t give a specific number obviously as each day is different. On average 7+3+12 = 22u of NR, good question Mike.

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
An interesting thread Mike.

When I started on my pump I was on an average TDD of around 20.
Eight years later it is between 25 and 30 depending on how carby the week has been
As others have said it depends (and the cheeses scones are just so nice when they come out of the oven!!)

stephknits

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Mine averages out at around 30. Like @SB2015 it has gone up since starting on the pump when I think it was around 24. Very interesting thread. I am about the same weight I was when I started on the pump, between 9.5 and 10 stone.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Forgot to mention, I'm 5' 9". I was 8st 4lbs at diagnosis, currently 12st 2lbs! I do need to lose a bit! :eek: :) My 'fighting weight' is around 10st 8lbs.