Too much weight loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I dont know if I am turning into a hypercondriac but I am now slightly worried abut how much weight I am losing - especially after reading that statins can also cause muscle wastage (stopped taking them two nights ago).

Pleased the way it is coming off but bizzarely slightly concerned with how quickly it is coming down spesh as I lost 5LBs while on 2 weeks holiday and then 4LBs this week.

I am not on a major diet and this week I have done much less hard exercise (mainly walking the dog) than I did whilst on holiday (cliff walks and running). Typical meals might be porridge for breccy, a tin of beans (or soup) and 2 slices of bread for lunch and a decent size (but smaller than of old) home made curry and rice for dinner (I have had a chip shop fish and half a portion of chips twice this week!!!). No snacking but unlimited coffee with milk. I am really just eating three normal meals a day and nowt else.

Is it coming off too quick, a total of 10 LBs in 5 weeks, but unexpected given the holiday in the middle (I had at least 2 pints of cider every night).

I don't think you are turning into a hypochondriac - you are just much more aware of your health at the moment and wondering whether any change is normal, down to your diabetes or some other factor.

I'm not a dietician so can't say for definite if you are losing weight too fast, but I don't think you are. I remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't aim for more than a 2olb a week loss, if that is right then you are doing fine.

.......... especially after reading that statins can also cause muscle wastage (stopped taking them two nights ago). QUOTE]

Re; Statins - I had a panic about this but read that the Simvastatin I was on only starts to be worried about at a dose of 80mg per day and I'm only on 20mg so I stopped reading after that. I know some of my older friends stopped statins because of leg pains but other than that I know they are recommended for diabetic use and I've not had any side effects at all and I've been on them for about 4 years due to a family history of heart/strokes (but not diabetes).

I can't offer advice on the weight loss as I don't know how much overweight you were - to me (as an ex-Weight Watcher) it sounds like you are just losing weight in a controlled way but, as always, if anything worries you, check with someone in your Diabetic Team at the surgery if they are approachable - just to put your mind at rest.

All the best,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back