Too many ....................

mark king

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Now look................. I need some help here.

There are w a y too many abbreviation creeping into our posts.
I found a new one for me today it said "A bag of JB's" now I think I was able to guess that was Jelly Babies, well that's what I concluded.
Do we have a look up page listing all the medical abbreviations on so that a confirmation can be made.
Maybe the convention of write the name out in full then all following in the post can be abbreviated style.

Best

Some here @mark king

Thanks Inka
I'll have a read up of that post and try at my age to remember more of them or at least know where I can go to find out what each abbreviation means.
Best

I found a new one for me today it said "A bag of JB's" now I think I was able to guess that was Jelly Babies, well that's what I concluded.
Do we have a look up page listing all the medical abbreviations on so that a confirmation can be made.
Maybe the convention of write the name out in full then all following in the post can be abbreviated style.

Best
I work in healthcare and what you suggest is exactly what's recommended there: it minimises mistakes and the risk of 'in groups' and 'out groups'. I appreciate that no-one in these posts is going to be giving medical advice (and so errors are less risky) but the practice of writing things out in full the first time still has much to recommend it, I think.

Best
Good idea. I am as guilty as anyone of using abbreviations, but still come across new ones not on the pinned reference post for newbies.

I work in healthcare and what you suggest is exactly what's recommended there: it minimises mistakes and the risk of 'in groups' and 'out groups'. I appreciate that no-one in these posts is going to be giving medical advice (and so errors are less risky) but the practice of writing things out in full the first time still has much to recommend it, I think.
I work in places that use acronyms for some of the equipment. When I ask what it means. A good 60% I ask, haven’t got a clue.

I work in places that use acronyms for some of the equipment. When I ask what it means. A good 60% I ask, haven’t got a clue.
People often use acronyms to make themselves sound superior - a bit like preachers and medics using Latin to keep themselves apart from the common people. When I was a Psychologist in the NHS, whenever one of my students used an unnecessary term such as "nocte", I'd ask them what it meant: they knew that I knew - but I'd point out that their patients might not know what it meant, so why not just say 'each night', rather than creating barriers by showing off their knowledge?

People often use acronyms to make themselves sound superior - a bit like preachers and medics using Latin to keep themselves apart from the common people. When I was a Psychologist in the NHS, whenever one of my students used an unnecessary term such as "nocte", I'd ask them what it meant: they knew that I knew - but I'd point out that their patients might not know what it meant, so why not just say 'each night', rather than creating barriers by showing off their knowledge?
I have to admit when working in a noisy environment pneumatic drills happening with the radio blaring overhead to boot. A “PDB” would sound like a PCB or PPP? Or was it the BBC? I normally responded when referenced, “this thingy?”

Back