too many hypos ? honeymoon period

Status
Not open for further replies.

emma1972

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi diagnosed nearly 4 weeks ago been on insulin just over 2 weeks. I had got my lantus sorted out waking up at between 5-6 each morning. I have the same breakfast and more or less the same lunce each day with no snacks. I had worked out how much insulin was required for this and sometimes I was a little higher after dinner at night due to not taking enough insulin with my meal.

Suddenly 4 days ago everything changed, my usual dose caused me to hypo 2.4ish 4 times during one day and waking up with level less that 4. I stopped my breakfast dose of insulin and was able to regulate the levels without it. Is this the honeymoon period? I am cutting my insulin down but its all guess work. Today I had full christmas dinner, two platefuls of main course and a huge helping of pudding, with 2 glasses of champagne and a glass of mulled wine. I covered this with 6 units of Novorapid and within 2 hours was down to 8.7??????? I ate enough carbs to sink a ship!

I cannot get in touvh with the diabetic nurse until the new year to ask these questions. I am going to cut my Lantus from 16 units to 10 and start again as I am convinced what was a stable dose is now too much.

Does anyone have any advice meantime. I don't want to keep feeding the insulin to stop hypos and I dont want to gain weight so reducing the insulin seems to be the only way.

Help

Hi emma, it does sound as if you are in the honeymoon period. All you can do is test and cut your insulin untill things sort them selves out.
You will have quite a few ups and downs whilst it lasts. Your pancreas is having it's final fling before it packs up. It might help to watch your carb intake so you do not overload your pancreas for the time being.
It sounds to me as if you are doing everything correctly.
Wow at the amount of xmas dinner 😱 but congratulations on the blood test result after :D

does sound like you are honeymooning, or did you have a cure in your stocking?
You need to cut your insulin down so that you are achieving target levels again (sucks that once you got things worked out things change!).
thats quite a drop from 16 to 10 units, may be too much, but you will be able to t ell that an titrate back up if needed. remember that DSN's usually say leave a lantus dose for 3 days before making further changes.

hope you enjoyed your christmas dinner!

mike

I shall try HYPOS
I DONT GET HYPOS. try recording yourself giving instructions on how to make a cup of coffee with a blood sugar of 2 then play it back to yourself with a blood sugar of 6 the recording will sound like nonsence. THATS A HYPO
the brain and the heart can only use sugar as a fuel
I DONT GET WARNINGS. maybe but do you know what to look for. you know the word but have you LEARNT the signs
A normal person has a very complicated pathway from the brain to the pancreas to control the production of insulin. one pathway to say make more insulin. another to say stop making insulin
there is no reason to suppose that an IDD has anything wrong with the pathways, just that the STOP path won`t work because you injected the insulin and NOTHING can stop it
but the brain still sends the message STOP and NOTHING happens
so it sends STOP again and still nothing happens
and it will then send PANIC = adrenalin =fight or flight= anxiety = blurred vision = sweating = cold skin ( blood to the muscles) = the shakes
THATS a HYPO warning. you have to LEARN yours.
adrenalin is the key. you have to LEARN to sense the sensation of it in your blood stream THEN have enough brain left to treat it quickly

Mike (Edited by margaret)

Mike

I have to confess I really have no idea what you are talking about, do you? I am simply asking for advice and other peoples views, I really cannot learn anything nor draw any comfort from that load of gibberish that you posted.

Emma

Emma, don't be too hard on Mike - he's just trying to help. The 'honeymoon' period was described to me, like this; every so often the pancreas 'fires-up' again and produces insulin, but you have also injected some insulin and thus you get a 'double whammy' and the blood sugar goes down too far, resulting in a hypo. I was also advised by a DAFNE educator that excercise can have an effect on BS levels up to 19 hrs later. Not sure about you, but I have trouble remembering what I did 19 minutes ago - so I have difficulty taking things like that into account when I inject. I was fortunate in that I spent 3 months at home off work when I came out of hospital and learned to feel a hypo coming on. Be patient, your body will tell you that it's happening and you will learn what you need to do to pull you out of it. Good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back