Too many Devon diabetics undergoing amputations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
People with diabetes in Devon are having avoidable amputations, according to new figures released by Diabetes UK.

The figures, based on NHS data, show that while the overall diabetes-related amputation rate in the area has decreased slightly since last year, it is still too high.

In the NHS North, East and West Devon Clinical Commissioning Group (NEW Devon CCG) area, 4.1 per thousand people with diabetes per year during 2010 to 2013 had a lower limb amputation.

This is well above the national average of 2.6 per thousand people with diabetes per year. It is the 12th highest rate in England, and the second highest rate in the South West.

http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co....tions-report/story-21093824-detail/story.html

:(

North Devon I can understand 😡
There was a less than ideal consultant who after 30 plus years of doing nothing to educate the North Devon peeps finally retired about a couple of years ago. A new broom is in place and he is slowly but surely improving things.
I am under that consultant for my Addison's disease and he knows his stuff diabetes wise.

Good to hear things are improving Sue. It upsets me to think that people are having feet and limbs removed unnecessarily, and appalls me even more when it is happening even though they know what needs to be done :(

Well it's too high everywhere.

It should be none through diabetes.

If you get in a terrible accident I still don't like it but sometimes there is no choice, so I'll let those lie.

We were fine when everybody from the top consultant to the smallest patient was terrified of Matron, and it's about time she came back !

Plus it's helpful in any workplace to have an object of hate you can accuse of whatever you want knowing they won't get touched, it allows you to vent your spleen and still be friends with all your colleagues!

I don't want to her though when the rest are having a 'We hate Matron' day !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back