Too cool 4 pump school!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugarbum

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

Just a quick query, is there anyone on Medtronic (or parents!) who can enlighten me on what is included with the pump when it comes please? Do you get the clip or any pouch etc?

I have studied the accessories hard, but there is no ordering format online. I would like the paradigm clip (I would like to use the waistband for under my work uniform), the see through plastic thing (!) with waistband which they are advertising for sports use and I am thinking I may revive my youth and even purchase one of those jazzy skins! (Go mad why not?!:D).

I see on the USA medtronic site I can buy these things online, but obviously things are different over there. Can anyone tell me how it works in the UK? I expect these things come at a silly price 😱 I have also held off on my new medialert tiffany style because I am putting on the alert "Insulin pump" and I shall need to raid the piggy bank...

Starting pumping on 29th June. I just cannot wait! Sorry if this is the first of a few pump questions but I bet there is someone out there who knows this!

Many thanks if you can help! x

Hi Sugarbum! Just got ours last week....Here's what ours came with:

1) a holster - thingy (solid black plastic)
2) a pump clip
3) a rather sleek black pump case
4) a much larger supplies (?) case that can be put on a belt too (black)
5) various inset and reservoir kit things
6) batteries
7) oh yeah, and an 'activity clip' (I think to keep buttons from being knocked etc during sport)

There aren't any other skins or see through jazzy clips/pouches... But we were told that ordering online from States is straightforward?

Good luck with everything. We start on saline 2 June. Am gradually coming to grips with this amazing piece of kit. Just in nick of time: child seems to be eating his body weight in food each meal, which we do our best to dose. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, so we are constantly coxing and boxing at the moment...Had enough of interfering hormones! Argh. Though must keep at it: a) he's miserable when high of course and b) want to give him all best chance for reaching physical potential. So we have just split a dose of 20 units (!) for a huge and very enjoyable amount of risotto/chicken/asparagus... And have no idea if it will work. He started high (cold coming?). Sigh.

Oh this is great Patricia, many thanks!

I am really pleased to see that a clip and case of some description comes with the pump. I can progress to whatever after a while, I think I just initially need to work out how I am wearing this thing and get used to it. So that is good to know I dont need to order something now when I am not exactly sure what I want. As a nurse I just want to make sure this is secure for me, and I guess that is whats niggling me at the moment- work! (typical!).

I dont know how old your son is Patricia but have they got your guys going in this pump school online? https://pumpschool.minimed.com/index.tpl I am enjoying it but wish I had the pump infront of me. Its complicated enough, but goodness knows how you do it all considering his hormones like you say! I take my hat off to you.

If you feel happy to do so, please post on both of your progress. As it is so timely with mine I really would be very interested in hearing how its going. Wish you all the best.

PS. Oh BTW, can you or Sue offer advice on inclusion on contents insurrance? I am waiting to hear from DUK insurrance services, but tried 2 other companies with no luck over the weekend (the only medical equipment one was prepared to insure was a hearing aid....!) x

Thanks Sugarbum...just raised Levermir again this morning, even though he's away on a school trip...but another morning of high numbers and he's not actually feeling that bad with a cold... Sigh. Never know if it's the right move!

Anyway. Yes they've directed us toward pump school, though none of us have done it yet. I think my son will start with that (he's 13), then move onto the handbook. My husband and I are climbing through the handbook, which is not overly well presented, but pretty comprehensible. We haven't yet got the actual pump working because a) you *can't* push certain buttons before reading the stuff, so random playing is out! and b) we want to devote some concentrated time to it, eg this weekend.

Bring on the day. Like today: we would have upped his dose, but if when he's away it proves too much, he'd be able to adjust it. As is, he's just got to live with it.

So yes -- it looks like there is enough equipment to be getting on with in the first instance, so that you can actually use and wear it.

And yes, we'll keep you up to date. I'm sure it'll be a saga of sorts...

Best.

...a) you *can't* push certain buttons before reading the stuff, so random playing is out!

I just imagined there that it had some sort of 'random-play' feature like on an mp3 player and was wondering if it delivered random doses of insulin to keep you on your toes!😱:D:D

tell me about it......if I only I could put my iTunes on it Id be happy as a sand boy!

I think we need more randomness in life generally...but diabetes has its own mind about this. Somehow we are always forced to be non-random, while it randoms away...Grr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back