Tony Dolby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Dolby

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have recently been in hospital with pancreatitis and was also told im diabetic i was given 14 units of semglee insulin at 11.30 daily. Im now back home my sugar level is now at 4.1 should i still take my insulin as normal ? Being told different things about it so im confused? Thanks in advance Tony

I have recently been in hospital with pancreatitis and was also told im diabetic i was given 14 units of semglee insulin at 11.30 daily. Im now back home my sugar level is now at 4.1 should i still take my insulin as normal ? Being told different things about it so im confused? Thanks in advance Tony
Welcome to the forum, Tony. I’ve asked the admin team if they can move your post to its own thread, where you will be seen better, and get more replies.
Semglee is a long acting insulin designed to mop up the trickles of glucose that your liver puts out 24 hours a day, to keep your vital organs ticking over, so it needs to be taken every day. If you find your blood sugar levels are getting low, though, have a word with whoever is in charge of your diabetes care, as the amount may need lowering. In the meantime, have a glucose hypo treatment if your levels are dropping, and keep something handy, until you find out if the 4.1 is a one-off, or if your levels are dropping all the time, and keep a record of your readings, so you can tell your diabetes team what is happening,

Thanks should i still take my daily insulin or wait for levels to rise. Im waiting for my doctor to call me later this afternoon

Hi @Tony Dolby and welcome to the forum. I have moved your posts to a separate thread to make sure members who have thoughts can see it and respond.

Thanks should i still take my daily insulin or wait for levels to rise. Im waiting for my doctor to call me later this afternoon
There are various options.
The problem with not taking it now, is that it’s designed to last 24 hours, so you will then overlap doses if you go back to taking it at 11.30 tomorrow. If you are happy to carry on taking it at lunchtime, or mid afternoon, it wouldn’t do any harm to wait a few hours. You may find your levels have come back up to a more reasonable figure by that time.
Or, you could test your blood glucose again now, and if it’s still rising, it would be Ok to take the Semglee now.
Or, to be on the safe side, you could anticipate what your doctor will probably say anyway, and reduce it by a couple of units. We can’t give dosing advice, but all I would say is that people who find they are going a bit low on their current dose might inject 12 units today, and see how they go. Once you’ve discussed it with your doctor, who has the complete picture, you can decide with him/her how many units you will try in future.
At these early stages it does tend to be a bit of an experiment to find the right levels, and see what insulin regime works best. Keep posting and telling us how you’re getting on, and give us a shout if you need to run anything past us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back