Tonic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandy321

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi can anyone recommend a tonic for low mood for a diabetic please?

Exercise works for me as a tonic. Particularly walking if you are able. I know it is difficult to motivate yourself to get out and do it, but it is so worthwhile. If I can psych myself up to leave the house I walk/run up and down stairs as many times as I can. The exercise is great for my diabetes, heart and lungs as well as my low mood.

Walking too for me. Also 85% dark chocolate, in small amounts on occasion.

Small achievable goals are great too for general wellbeing. Every time you achieve one it brings a little bit of happiness, a sense of another little job done. Recently for me, for example - aiming for a lower average weight next week than the past week - a small goal that breaks the months of hard slog of weight loss down into achievable weekly 'challenges', a weekly reason to celebrate a tiny bit (usually) and permission to eat a little bit of dark chocolate 😉 . Standing on the weighing scale becomes a series of little victories, instead of depressing months (and months) of being reminded how much farther there is to go.

It doesn't matter what the goal is so long as it's achievable in a relatively short period of time and it brings a little sense of achievement at the end - a mood-lifting little victory.

Exercise is my "go to" too which means when I am unable, my mood is probably more affected.
The other thing that is important for me is "me time". This may be time spent by myself but is more doing things for myself such as catching up with a good friend for coffee/tea and wandering around an art gallery as well as hiding away in the kitchen cooking and listening to a podcast or music. Yes, I am a kitchen dancer 🙄
In the past, the bath tub with a glass of wine, music and a good book have brightened my mood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back