Tom Hanks has type 2 diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Tom Hanks has just been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, despite battling with the symptoms since the age of 36.

Tom Hanks has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.
The 57-year-old actor has been battling with symptoms of the life-long condition - which occurs when the body doesn't produce enough insulin to function properly - since he was 36, but he has only just received the full diagnosis from a medical professional.

http://www.contactmusic.com/story/tom-hanks-has-type-2-diabetes_3897451

I wonder what symptoms he's had for the last 21 yrs?

I wonder what symptoms he's had for the last 21 yrs?

Yes, it does seem to be rather a long time to be 'pre-diabetic' :confused: I wonder what sort of advice he has been receiving? I also wonder if his levels improved when he lost all that weight for 'Castaway'? He strikes me as one of those people possibly more affected by visceral fat rather than being overweight.

Tom Hanks reveals diabetes diagnosis: Did fluctuating weight play a role?

Academy Award winning actor, Tom Hanks announced on Monday that he is living with Type 2 diabetes on CBS' "The Late Show with David Letterman."

Hanks was on the show to talk about his latest film, "Captain Phillips," but right off the bat the actor began the conversation with an unexpected announcement.

"I went to the doctor and he said 'You know those high blood sugar numbers you've been dealing with since you were 36? Well, you've graduated. You've got type 2 diabetes, young man,'" said Hanks.

The 57-year-old actor is known for taking on roles that require him to gain and lose weight. He packed on 30 pounds to play baseball coach Jimmy Dugan in 1992's "A League of Their Own."

Years later, he dropped from 225 pounds to 170 pounds for "Castaway," a dramatic transformation to portray a man stranded on a deserted island.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505270_...diagnosis-did-fluctuating-weight-play-a-role/

Not that I would celebrate anyone getting the big D diagnosis, but it's refreshing to see another thin-looking celebrity's condition being publicised. It might make a few people who don't fit the stereotype think about getting tested.

Not that I would celebrate anyone getting the big D diagnosis, but it's refreshing to see another thin-looking celebrity's condition being publicised. It might make a few people who don't fit the stereotype think about getting tested.

Agreed! 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back