Told we can’t prescribe Trulicity or Ozempic as there IS NONE

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodybags

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
earlier this week I did my repeat prescription online, and never heard from pharmacy so phoned surgery
It seems a system error had kicked in and my request want processed,

however was horrified to find out on phoning my surgery this afternoon
they can’t prescribe Trulicity (or Ozempic) anymore as there is just none in the UK !
I take Trulicity (once a week)
Ok it wasn’t the GP I was talking to,

but she seemed to know what she was on about
and she was telling me she is on Ozempic herself
and genuinely they have been told
both Ozempic & Trulicity just is no longer available and there’s no alternatives ??

Has anybody else heard experienced this

Last edited:
earlier this week I did my repeat prescription online, and never heard from pharmacy so phoned surgery

they can’t prescribe Trulicity (or Ozempic) anymore as there is just none in the UK !

both Ozempic & Trulicity just is no longer available and there’s no alternatives ??

Same here yes. Not sure what the problem is. Assuming too much demand.

The lady I was talking to said it is because of Brexit

there are supply issues
I’ve got some trulicity for my dose tomorrow
but then I’ve none
and from what she was telling me it’s going to be long term

there are supply issues
but then I’ve none
Not good. Brexit is more trouble than it's worth.

there are supply issues
but then I’ve none
Brexit is the excuse for everything. The fact is, Drug manufacturers are making more money selling to private individuals who want to use these drugs as a weight loss tool, then they can selling to the NHS or any other health providers in any other country worldwide.

Unfortunately this has been going on for some time @goodybags - and looks likely to continue into the next year.

It also seems to be impacting various alternative options because people who can’t get the GLP1s are being offered other things, putting pressure on those supply chains too :(

Diabetes UK wrote this some time ago, which might help

Brexit is the excuse for everything. The fact is, Drug manufacturers are making more money selling to private individuals who want to use these drugs as a weight loss tool, then they can selling to the NHS or any other health providers in any other country worldwide.
True that. It's even worse in the states. Would not want to live there if you paid me. I've had to explain to American friends of mine it's not free, we pay in all of our lives.

The fact is, Drug manufacturers are making more money selling to private individuals who want to use these drugs as a weight loss tool, then they can selling to the NHS or any other health providers in any other country worldwide.
Not according to this comment on the Forum from a couple of weeks ago...............

Generally speaking the NHS pay drug manufacturers the same price for their products as private clinics. There the similarity ends. The costs passed to you and I, the consumer, by private clinics will vary between individual clinic. In England of course there is a standard prescription charge unless you’re exempt.

Not according to this comment on the Forum from a couple of weeks ago...............

Generally speaking the NHS pay drug manufacturers the same price for their products as private clinics. There the similarity ends. The costs passed to you and I, the consumer, by private clinics will vary between individual clinic. In England of course there is a standard prescription charge unless you’re exempt.
The problem with the NHS is it takes them 10 weeks to change a light bulb.

Take the example of the Libre. Nhs pays £35 or thereabouts for sensors. Presumably Abbot charge wholesalers the same, to enable them to make a profit. Early on in the scheme, Boots, for example, were selling them for £50, but places like ASDA were cutting the price to £35, presumably foregoing thier 'middleman' profit. But the private buyer, purchasing direct from the website pays £50, all the profit going to Abbott.
If you were a manufacturer of a 'weight loss drug' and had limited stocks, would you sell to the NHS, or would you sell direct to the public?

Take the example of the Libre. Nhs pays £35 or thereabouts for sensors. Presumably Abbot charge wholesalers the same, to enable them to make a profit. Early on in the scheme, Boots, for example, were selling them for £50, but places like ASDA were cutting the price to £35, presumably foregoing thier 'middleman' profit. But the private buyer, purchasing direct from the website pays £50, all the profit going to Abbott.
If you were a manufacturer of a 'weight loss drug' and had limited stocks, would you sell to the NHS, or would you sell direct to the public?
I'd be surprised if any drug manufacturers sold direct to the public. For all I know it might not even be allowed. In any case I've only referenced what someone else posted. They're not my words.

I take Trulicity (once a wee

today I’ve been and picked up this prescription from the Pharmacy
the very strange thing is Trulicity was available after all
ok when ordered the repeat last Friday the surgery said Trulicity wasn’t available to order
but I did a online order for it through the app my surgery uses

just collected it from the pharmacy and now it’s in my fridge 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back