Toilet issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spence

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys. Has anyone had issues with hard stools? . I have had problems passing them the last couple days. What's the best way of avoiding or dealing with them? Regards

Yup recognise the scene.

Mine was due to starting a rigid diet regime but not eating enough fats. I did 3 things. I started taking dulcoease and increased my fat and fibre intake. Sorted the problem in short order. Now I just ensure my fats and fibre are good and do not now take the dulcoease.

I forgot, after a while I started to add Inulin to my morning tea and coffee to increase the fibre in my diet and I started to drink a lot more water to stop any dehydration.

It took just a couple of days for everything to settle down and things have been ok since then for the last 9 months.

Hope that is of some help to you.

Last edited:
Yup recognise the scene.

Mine was due to starting a rigid diet regime but not eating enough fats. I did 3 things. I started taking dulcoease and increased my fat and fibre intake. Sorted the problem in short order. Now I just ensure my fats and fibre are good and do not now take the dulcoease.

It took just a couple of days for everything to settle down and things have been ok since then for the last 9 months.

Hope that is of some help to you.
Wow gwynn. What a story. Thank you for sharing that and good on you. Does give us all hope I guess. Regarfd

Make sure you are drinking plenty of water as dehydration can cause issues. If that doesn't sort you try some Psyllium Husk dissolved in water.

@spence As you’ve only recently been diagnosed with Type 1 and your sugars are being brought down gradually, it’s possible you’re still a bit dehydrated. Make sure to actively drink extra water.

You could take a short-term laxative if you’re really uncomfortable, or try things like eating a high fibre cereal, plenty of veg, etc A dessertspoon of olive oil trickled over whatever your evening meal is can also help.

I'm another advocate for more water and fibre. I use psyllium husk and chia seeds mixed into a glass of water with a dash of apple cider vinegar on a morning before breakfast and my digestive system and toilet habit has never been so healthy. I struggled desperately with constipation when I was first diagnosed so I stick with this routine now and it really works well for me. The psyllium and chia aren't laxitives they just provide soluble fibre and bulk when mixed with water (you can flavour it with whatever you like) which moves gently through your gut and produces really healthy stools. It is the same stuff as is in the Fibogel prescribed by doctors but i prefer the natural unflavoured product. Chia seeds are available in most supermarkets and are high in Omega 3 fatty acids as well as providing soluble fibre, so very good for you.

I always find that trying to take psyllium husk with water and drinking it leaves the inside of the glass well coated with very well glued on bits.
These days if I ever need it I sprinkle a small amount of psyllium into the coleslaw when I have a salad, as that seems to ensure it gets to where it is needed. A quarter teaspoon is enough at any one time, and do drink a glass of water before consuming it. Fibre is all very well in small doses but it can actually cause injury if too much is taken and it becomes dry and compacted. A chia (seed) scoop is an actual medical instrument these days.

I always find that trying to take psyllium husk with water and drinking it leaves the inside of the glass well coated with very well glued on bits.
I always have a second glass of water straight afterwards where I make sure to stir it well to release the bits which have stuck to the sides of the glass. This means that I take on plenty of fluids first thing to start my day as well as making sure the fibre is well soaked and become gelatinous.

I mix ground golden flax seeds (buy whole from Tesco, and whiz in blender) plus chopped pecans, also high fibre, with my porridge.
Days I don't have porridge I eat 3-4 soft dried apricots.

I mix ground golden flax seeds (buy whole from Tesco, and whiz in blender) plus chopped pecans, also high fibre, with my porridge.
Days I don't have porridge I eat 3-4 soft dried apricots.
Chia seeds are good with flax also

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back