Tofu ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
One piece of advice is always to press the tofu regardless of the recipe. That is take it out of the packet, drain it, pop it on a plate with a couple of pieces of kitchen paper wrapped around it and place a bowl or plate on top.
It’ll slightly compress the tofu, force some of the moisture out, and give better texture to the end result.

I don’t use tofu often at all but pressing it really is a game changer.

One piece of advice is always to press the tofu regardless of the recipe. That is take it out of the packet, drain it, pop it on a plate with a couple of pieces of kitchen paper wrapped around it and place a bowl or plate on top.
It’ll slightly compress the tofu, force some of the moisture out, and give better texture to the end result.

I don’t use tofu often at all but pressing it really is a game changer.
Would you also do that for silken tofu?

Anyone have any ideas for tofu including marinades.

Thanks Dave

I make a simple marinade with soy sauce, grated ginger and sesame oil for sliced tofu. I then fry it and use it in a rice dish with peanuts and an egg or two stirred through.

You can also use tofu in soups like Tom Yum (buy the paste) or this one:

Tofu is a good carrier for flavours.

Would you also do that for silken tofu?
I'd drain silken tofu, but not squash it myself. However, I think it would depend on what you were going to use it for. Myself, I use silken tofu for scrambling. Add a little oil to a medium heated frying pan, break the tofu up in the pan, add a little black salt, and some pepper according to taste, plus some turmeric for colour and keep stirring. The result is something akin to scrambled egg.

Last edited:
I tend to prefer extra firm tofu as it is generally easier to press to draw the moisture out. I use it in stir fries mostly and the less moisture it contains the better it stir fries. I usually uses spices (ginger, chilli, garlic powder) and oil/ghee to fry the tofu and assortment of vegetables and nuts with a dash of soy sauce near the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back