Toenail cutting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caroline Wilson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
the experts (the ones who trained) can't agree, so perhaps the experts here (the ones with experience) can shed some light.

Experts (trained ones) fall into two camps: camp 1 cut nails straight across to stop ingrowing toe nails. Camp 2 follow the natural shape of the nail to stop ingrowing toenails.

SO what do all the experts with experience here do, straight across or following natural shape of toe and nail?

I get a chain saw out 😱

no, I cut straight across 😉

cut straight across ...but i thought d 's had access to chiropdists ...maybe not the T2 but T1 certainly ...:confused:

I go for straight, but don't know whether this is correct or not.:confused:

cut straight across ...but i thought d 's had access to chiropdists ...maybe not the T2 but T1 certainly ...:confused:

In our area if you seem to be taking care of your feet properly and managing to cut toenails OK they don't encourage you to see chripodists or podiatrists, this includes type 1 and type 2 diabetics. It varies from area to area

I follow the shape of my nails......

I tend to follow the shape of the nail but not cutting too close. I use nail clippers rather than scissors.I do have a slight problem with one of my toes that I've had since 1987. The podiatrist recommended nail surgery, now I'm diabetic, but I'm reluctant as I've been dealing with it OK for over 20 years.

I think the main point is that you shouldn't cut the nail too tight into the corners? (I'm quite happy to be contradicted on this, because it is just a personal, unsubstantiated, opinion 🙂 )

Also, I think that following the shape of the toe gives a nicer look (assuming you have the toes for it!), but don't cut the nail too short.

Andy

I tend to follow the shape of the nail but not cutting too close. I use nail clippers rather than scissors.I do have a slight problem with one of my toes that I've had since 1987. The podiatrist recommended nail surgery, now I'm diabetic, but I'm reluctant as I've been dealing with it OK for over 20 years.

How old are your other toes😛

On a more serious note: I use nail clippers (the ones that look like pliers) and they do not cut straight (neither do the cheap ones come to think). Pretty sure the podiatrist said to cut them to the shape of the toe (i.e. curved) and linke Andy says do not cut too much at either side, I think that encourages the sides to grow in and cause ingrowing toenails.

Having had a couple of operations for ingrowing toenails many years ago my chiropodist told me to always cut the nails across. So that's what 've done ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back