Toe numbness

Elliemc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I posted a question re this last week (or thought I had) but, as there haven't been any replies I'm trying again. Must admit it may be me not doing it correctly - I don't come on here a lot so not sure if I've searched correctly, or even if this is the right place to ask, either.

Basically the toes apart from the smallest 2 on my left foot are numb. Can't feel what I'm walking on at all so find I am sopmetimes staggering. Finally got an appointment at the Dr's and it is due to my diabetes. I was told this cannot be reversed - is that correct? Is there any way I can prevent this becoming worse? Would be grateful for any help please.

Keeping good bg control is probably best bet to stop things getting worse, but you should get referred over to a podiatrist who will keep an eye on things & can advise further.

Also make sure your footwear is correct fit, referral to orthotics dept might be a good idea.

I posted a question re this last week (or thought I had) but, as there haven't been any replies I'm trying again. Must admit it may be me not doing it correctly - I don't come on here a lot so not sure if I've searched correctly, or even if this is the right place to ask, either.

Basically the toes apart from the smallest 2 on my left foot are numb. Can't feel what I'm walking on at all so find I am sopmetimes staggering. Finally got an appointment at the Dr's and it is due to my diabetes. I was told this cannot be reversed - is that correct? Is there any way I can prevent this becoming worse? Would be grateful for any help please.
The numbness is probably caused by nerve damage so what they probably have said is that it is neuropathy. The better you manage your blood glucose levels the more likely it will be that it will not get worse.
A few people find various supplements can help and medication if you are getting pain.
I think it depend on the cause whether the nerves will regenerate. I had surgery on my knee and the area around the scar is still numb, the physio said to massage it as it might help, so that may work with your toes.
It is probably important to wear good shoes that protect your toes from injury and to help your balance.

What tests did they do?

Basically the toes apart from the smallest 2 on my left foot are numb. Can't feel what I'm walking on at all so find I am sopmetimes staggering. Finally got an appointment at the Dr's and it is due to my diabetes. I was told this cannot be reversed - is that correct? Is there any way I can prevent this becoming worse? Would be grateful for an

So sorry to hear about the loss of feeling in your toes @Elliemc :(

I’ve had a look, and it doesn’t look like the earlier attempt you made to start this thread worked, as your previous threads were a few years back.

There’s an overview of neuropathy (nerve damage) including types connected to diabetes here:

The general advice seems to be to try to keep your glucose levels as stable and in-range as possible. Some members here seem to have experienced improvement in their symptoms over time, but for others it seems to be a question of slowing any possible progression, and managing any on-going symptoms.

Please, please don't give up OP.

What tests did the GP do? It's not normal for a GP to decide that the foot problems you describe is diabetic neuropathy without further tests. It can be confirmed or discounted with a MRI for example.
Maintaining good blood sugars can help lots. Research says it can reverse the damage a little, and can deffo stop progression. How much can be reversed or contained depends on how long its been going on for.

I do realise a lot of this is my own fault. My daughter died very suddenly in early 2023 and I found it very hard to cope and basically have not taken care of myself since then. I am still finding it very hard to function but have had a shock about my toes so am going to try to get to grips with this. Having to have more cancer treatment too so its all very difficult.

Add to that I can never find my posts and I'm a wreck!

I do realise a lot of this is my own fault. My daughter died very suddenly in early 2023 and I found it very hard to cope and basically have not taken care of myself since then. I am still finding it very hard to function

Oh my goodness @Elliemc I am so, SO sorry to hear about your daughter’s death. Grief can be so overwhelming and all pervading. I am almost 6 years into widowhood, and while it is true that ‘life has grown around’ the grief, it can still knock me for six in a heartbeat.

Be kind to yourself. And keep looking for the little glimpses of light.

Add to that I can never find my posts and I'm a wreck!
One of the easiest ways to find your earlier posts is under your user control panel under your Avatar in the top panel.

1727379105609.jpeg

If you click the number next to “Messages”, you’ll be shown a page with your recent posts, where you’ll hopefully be able to find your threads.

Peripheral Neuropathy is one of the O'Pathy sisters ( nephropathy, retinopathy, gastropathy etc) which are commonplace complications of Diabetes. The Big Toes are a useful bellwether.

It used to be said that Evening Primrose Oil helped with the symptoms but as usual some tests show a result and others don't.

It should be tested for by a Neurosthesiometer, but they're expensive bits of kit. Simple prodders and tuning forks are often used instead in feet examinations.

Alpha Lipoic Acid as well has been mentioned on this Group.

The Mayo Clinic has a decent page on Peripheral Neuropathy ....

Last edited:
Hello @Elliemc

I’m so sorry you have been dealing with so much sadness.

As said already keeping your blood glucose as stable and in range as possible is one of the best ways to help manage nerve damage & peripheral neuropathy. It may not undo any loss of sensation but it should help limit any further progression. Loss of sensation in the feet and toes does affect balance as you’re not fully aware of where your foot is in relation to the ground, it can cause staggering & difficulty in walking.

In some parts of the UK you can self refer to podiatry, check to see what your area offers. Sadly diabetic podiatry services seem to have been badly affected during COVID and access to appointments & clinics isn’t easy. In my area I have to have a wound on my foot to be seen. If it’s something you can do private podiatrists can check your feet and nails for issues and advise on how to protect your feet.

Self care of your feet is vital even more so with numbness. Check regularly for cuts & blisters that you might not feel & make sure your shoes don’t constrict or pinch. There’s a lot of good creams & balms eg Flexitol or CCS cream that help with skin care.

I hope things improve for you .

Back