Today's Parents

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyBikey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have been taken to A&E or taken someone quite a few times in recent years. Pre Covid there were often parents of young children often with nothing wrong with them. All too often we have parents panicking over mild colds or stomach bugs. Now here we have a news item in the opposite vein. Obviously there is a bit of journalistic spin on all this but if my parents could realise there was something wrong with me in the fifties why cannot today's parents. I dispareth!

Not that surprising. I didn’t register the symptoms before diagnosis until my GP mentioned the D word, even though my brother had been Type 1 for 10 years!

Not that surprising. I didn’t register the symptoms before diagnosis until my GP mentioned the D word, even though my brother had been Type 1 for 10 years!
Bit like my daughter not recognising she had preeclampsia even though she was an obstetrics registrar at the time.

Type 1 isn’t on a lot of people’s radar, I think many of us are diagnosed when really ill and in DKA.

Type 1 isn’t on a lot of people’s radar, I think many of us are diagnosed when really ill and in DKA.
I think it took the doctors a few hours to diagnose me back in 1981, and I was 15 (so definitely the right age for Type 1). I was told they looked rather embarrassed when they finally worked it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back