Today is my 1st pump anniversary!

Status
Not open for further replies.

curlygirl

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have been on my pump for one year today, and in some ways it seems remarkable that it is that long, but in other ways it feels strange it is only one year!

When I started on the pump it is something that I was very apprehensive about (and for 'apprehensive' read 'terrified'). It is one of the biggest and hardest things I have done diabetes-wise, and it is not a decision that I came to easily. I have had a genuine fear of hypos for many years that had got to the point of impacting on my quality of life, and it is this, along with wanting to feel like I was in control of my blood sugars, rather than just reacting to where they were and acting accordingly, that finally persuaded me to consider moving to a pump.

I had always been absolutely against the thought as I really did not want to be attached to something 24 hours a day. It turns out that I feel completely ok about this element of it however, because in being attached all the time, it has actually made me feel a bit less diabetic all the time, rather than more so.

This is because, despite it being very hard work and something that you really only get out of what you put in (the same as any treatment approach to Type 1 due to the constant and relentless nature of the condition) there are times when I feel much more 'free' on the pump than I ever did on MDI.

Being able to alter the basal and bolus delivery in such detailed ways is something that takes a bit of getting used to, and in some ways means that more time is spent figuring out how best to approach things than on MDI, but having the technology to do this absolutely blows me away sometimes. Just occasionally when the pump handset is taking longer than usual to find a screen, or connect to the pump, and I think 'oh, blimey this is taking a while', I catch myself and think 'wow, just think of all the amazing calculations and intricate and complicated things this little gadget is capable of' and then I try to have a little more patience with the whirling circle that sits on the screen for a few seconds...

Of all the things I have learnt about diabetes and pumping over this last year, there are a few that stand out.

1) Being on a pump is hard work, especially in the early months when it feels like you have been set down in the middle of a maze full of booby-traps and the only tool you have to get out is one that doesn't seem to follow the same rules of diabetes that you had been working to for the previous 14 years...

2) In a power-cut, a screen that lights up so that you can bolus without having to try to hold a torch and inject at the same time is a bonus I had not thought about, but very much prefer...

3) Being on a pump is not perfect, and obviously given the choice I would prefer a fully working pancreas please, but of the treatment options available, this for me is the one I would choose. I love my pump and would not want to go back to injections and I am truly grateful to have one.

4) Having a forum with friendly, knowledgeable people who you can ask questions to and read about their experiences is such a help. It is fantastic in a practical sense, but it also helps just having the support of others in the same, or similar, situations. It makes you feel like you are 'normal' rather than 'different'. I am not sure I can find the words to express how useful and nice it is to have somewhere to come where you are not the odd one out. For this I thank all the people who make this forum the supportive and friendly place that it is.

Curlygirl

Excellent @curlygirl ! 🙂 What a great appraisal of your first year on the pump - I'm sure lots of people who are dubious will be encouraged by what you have to say, but at the same time under no illusions that a pump is the 'easy' option - you get out what you put in! 🙂

Hear Hear Curly! Still you only had 14 years knowledge and intuition to get rid of - I had almost 40! I say it was just like being diagnosed in the first place, considering what I didn't know how to do on the pump, at that stage. Now it's second nature just like MDI became.

I still forget to test and/or bolus sometimes though - so that proves that I haven't changed! LOL

Great write-up Curlygirl. Really encouraging to hear how you have been getting on in your first year.

Thanks Curlygirl for such a great summary of pump therapy.
You forts point is a good one as some think that it is a magic kit, with no work needed.

Well written & I am pleased you like it so much 😎. A really big bloke might try to pinch my pump off me but he would be sorry :D

So good to hear that overall the pump has been a very positive move for you and helped you control Mr Diabetes - thanks for the write-up on your first year.

Hi curlygirl really pleased that you are happy with first years pumping, your message is encouraging me to keep persevering with mine ☺thank you

I have been on my pump for one year today, and in some ways it seems remarkable that it is that long, but in other ways it feels strange it is only one year!

When I started on the pump it is something that I was very apprehensive about (and for 'apprehensive' read 'terrified'). It is one of the biggest and hardest things I have done diabetes-wise, and it is not a decision that I came to easily. I have had a genuine fear of hypos for many years that had got to the point of impacting on my quality of life, and it is this, along with wanting to feel like I was in control of my blood sugars, rather than just reacting to where they were and acting accordingly, that finally persuaded me to consider moving to a pump.

I had always been absolutely against the thought as I really did not want to be attached to something 24 hours a day. It turns out that I feel completely ok about this element of it however, because in being attached all the time, it has actually made me feel a bit less diabetic all the time, rather than more so.

This is because, despite it being very hard work and something that you really only get out of what you put in (the same as any treatment approach to Type 1 due to the constant and relentless nature of the condition) there are times when I feel much more 'free' on the pump than I ever did on MDI.

Being able to alter the basal and bolus delivery in such detailed ways is something that takes a bit of getting used to, and in some ways means that more time is spent figuring out how best to approach things than on MDI, but having the technology to do this absolutely blows me away sometimes. Just occasionally when the pump handset is taking longer than usual to find a screen, or connect to the pump, and I think 'oh, blimey this is taking a while', I catch myself and think 'wow, just think of all the amazing calculations and intricate and complicated things this little gadget is capable of' and then I try to have a little more patience with the whirling circle that sits on the screen for a few seconds...

Of all the things I have learnt about diabetes and pumping over this last year, there are a few that stand out.

1) Being on a pump is hard work, especially in the early months when it feels like you have been set down in the middle of a maze full of booby-traps and the only tool you have to get out is one that doesn't seem to follow the same rules of diabetes that you had been working to for the previous 14 years...

2) In a power-cut, a screen that lights up so that you can bolus without having to try to hold a torch and inject at the same time is a bonus I had not thought about, but very much prefer...

3) Being on a pump is not perfect, and obviously given the choice I would prefer a fully working pancreas please, but of the treatment options available, this for me is the one I would choose. I love my pump and would not want to go back to injections and I am truly grateful to have one.

4) Having a forum with friendly, knowledgeable people who you can ask questions to and read about their experiences is such a help. It is fantastic in a practical sense, but it also helps just having the support of others in the same, or similar, situations. It makes you feel like you are 'normal' rather than 'different'. I am not sure I can find the words to express how useful and nice it is to have somewhere to come where you are not the odd one out. For this I thank all the people who make this forum the supportive and friendly place that it is.

Curlygirl
Hi, good to hear your views as I have just seen consultant yday and will be going on to insight pump in approx 2 weeks, apprehensive and nervous to say the least, and worried where I will attach it to my clothes etc and if I will like it but when my levels are around 5-4 I always feel like I am going to hypo and struggle, or my liver pushes out sugar in early hours so getting highs, so hoping this will help me!

Hi, good to hear your views as I have just seen consultant yday and will be going on to insight pump in approx 2 weeks, apprehensive and nervous to say the least, and worried where I will attach it to my clothes etc and if I will like it but when my levels are around 5-4 I always feel like I am going to hypo and struggle, or my liver pushes out sugar in early hours so getting highs, so hoping this will help me!
Good luck TracyAnn, welcome to the forum 🙂

Hello Tracey Ann. & welcome to the forum a lot of people would not go back to injections. It takes a week or two to get them "Tuned" to you but rely worth it. The best up to now 😎

Just wanted to thank people for their comments and say good luck to TracyAnn. Also, Marianne, don't give up, things do get easier as you begin to adapt to it more, I hope your pump and you are soon good friends...
Curlygirl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back