Today I’ve had my numbers confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toddyken

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
I was told about 3 weeks ago I was pre-diabetic via a message from GP, at the time I was told I was at ‘9’,following on from todays call they have confirmed I’m ‘44’ now I can relate better to this great forum. I’ve totally changed my bad eating habits … sweet stuff..and tbh I’m finding things not to hard. Would it be worth me getting tests you can buy without GP script , I’d be interested to see where my numbers are, many thanks. Carolyn

I was told about 3 weeks ago I was pre-diabetic via a message from GP, at the time I was told I was at ‘9’,following on from todays call they have confirmed I’m ‘44’ now I can relate better to this great forum. I’ve totally changed my bad eating habits … sweet stuff..and tbh I’m finding things not to hard. Would it be worth me getting tests you can buy without GP script , I’d be interested to see where my numbers are, many thanks. Carolyn
You can buy a monitor and test strips on line (tend to be cheaper than the pharmacy), the GlucoNavi or Spirit TEE2 are monitors with the cheapest test strips but do shop around as prices are changing everyday.
Many do find it a useful tool to identify foods which may be a problem and it allows you to find foods you can eat safely and those which are best avoided.
Yes, 44mmol/mol is in the 'at risk' or pre-diabetes zone so essentially a wake up call to pay attention to your intake of carbohydrates.

You can buy a monitor and test strips on line (tend to be cheaper than the pharmacy), the GlucoNavi or Spirit TEE2 are monitors with the cheapest test strips but do shop around as prices are changing everyday.
Many do find it a useful tool to identify foods which may be a problem and it allows you to find foods you can eat safely and those which are best avoided.
Yes, 44mmol/mol is in the 'at risk' or pre-diabetes zone so essentially a wake up call to pay attention to your intake of carbohydrates.
Thanks , I‘ll get some strips ordered, I’m determined I will reverse this, already exercise ,I’ve lost a few Lbs and eating a lot healthier ,I’m hopeful .

Thanks , I‘ll get some strips ordered, I’m determined I will reverse this, already exercise ,I’ve lost a few Lbs and eating a lot healthier ,I’m hopeful .
Just to say you get a few strips and lancets in the kit but should buy extra pots of strips at the outset, you can unofficially reuse the lancets.

Just to say you get a few strips and lancets in the kit but should buy extra pots of strips at the outset, you can unofficially reuse the lancets.
Hi, I’m just checking on Amazon , there are quite a few to choose from, at the moment I’m just buying them out of interest and to keep an eye on numbers but not going to get to concerned yet,, hope that makes sense. Could anybody recommend one they have bought.

Hi, I’m just checking on Amazon , there are quite a few to choose from, at the moment I’m just buying them out of interest and to keep an eye on numbers but not going to get to concerned yet,, hope that makes sense. Could anybody recommend one they have bought.
The two I mentioned are ones people find reliable and easy to use.

Hi, so my test kit arrived today, looks like I haven’t ordered to right one, there is no monitor ?

I ordered Gluco Navii , everything but the monitor,, my mistake, paid £12.99 cheapest I can find monitor for is £13.99 , I’m just learning

Well, when i asked my my diabetes nurse for a way to test my ketons she px the strips but no metre and se was a highly trained professional (allegedly)

Well, when i asked my my diabetes nurse for a way to test my ketons she px the strips but no metre and se was a highly trained professional (allegedly)
Interesting , how does she know the numbers, sorry I’m knew to this , thanks.

Are you sure they weren't urine dip sticks, as blood ketone strips are very expensive.

it is the correct kit, however didn’t order the one with a monitor, should have ordered the one mentioned above , starter kit to include everything, looks like I will have to order the monitor separately.

Are you sure they weren't urine dip sticks, as blood ketone strips are very expensive.
Not, blood ketone strips. I did think they may be urine strips which is why i did not question the lack of a meter earlier. Luckily i did not wait til i was ill to try them. Not that i have used them, and i think they may expire before i need them.
It was one of the many problems i had with my first diabetes clinic. Much better relationship with the second, so happy i asked to be refered elsewhere

Thank you for all the replies, the monitor is arriving today.

Not, blood ketone strips. I did think they may be urine strips which is why i did not question the lack of a meter earlier. Luckily i did not wait til i was ill to try them. Not that i have used them, and i think they may expire before i need them.
It was one of the many problems i had with my first diabetes clinic. Much better relationship with the second, so happy i asked to be refered elsewhere
Perhaps they assumed you’d got a compatible Blood Glucose meter already, some (like the Libre sensor, I think) will take Blood strips and Ketone strips. When I asked for something to test ketones with, my GP asked if I’d got a compatible meter, and as I was using an old Accuchek at the time, which didn't take ketone strips, she prescribed urine strips instead.

Perhaps they assumed you’d got a compatible Blood Glucose meter already, some (like the Libre sensor, I think) will take Blood strips and Ketone strips. When I asked for something to test ketones with, my GP asked if I’d got a compatible meter, and as I was using an old Accuchek at the time, which didn't take ketone strips, she prescribed urine strips instead.
I am prescribed ruined test strips, but have also got some blood Keto strips which will go in my Libre reader. I promised the GP I would only use these when I am really ill as they are a lot more expensive.

Morning, so 1st test done, after 3 attempts and ended up just pricking my finger ,,,I have now worked out the release button ,so my number is 8.4 , how do I convert that to my other number ‘44’, sorry I’m being stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back