Tobacco firms win legal right to challenge EU rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Tobacco firms have won the right to challenge new European Union rules on cigarette packaging.

The High Court referred the case to the EU's Court of Justice after a hearing in London on Monday.

Philip Morris, BAT and Imperial Tobacco were among firms joining forces to attack the legality of the EU's Tobacco Products Directive.

The new rules mean picture health rulings would have to cover 65% of the front and back of cigarette packaging.

Europe's highest court will be asked to rule whether the EU has misused its powers to legislate for tobacco, and whether its actions are "proportionate".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29876574

I was once in Hospital & this fella asked me to push his wheel chair to the front door. I said no prob because I like to keep active. The poor bloke had just had his legs taken off & felt very sorry for him. Me not ever being a smoker could not comprehend as he lit a ciggy as soon as he got out. His legs where removed because of smoking 😱 A bit writing on a packet will not stop people 😱

I was once in Hospital & this fella asked me to push his wheel chair to the front door. I said no prob because I like to keep active. The poor bloke had just had his legs taken off & felt very sorry for him. Me not ever being a smoker could not comprehend as he lit a ciggy as soon as he got out. His legs where removed because of smoking 😱 A bit writing on a packet will not stop people 😱

I remember a friend of mine, when he was training to be a doctor, told me about this sort of thing. At the time most people assumed that lung cancer was the biggest risk, but he had been shown a sequence of photos - in each one another limb had been removed from the same smoker :(

I stopped nearly 20 years ago, best thing I ever did! 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back