To the knowledgeable people of the forum

Alan44

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
I was diagnosed with diabetes 3 months ago (only one blood test said diabetic,) if my next two blood tests say "normal" ie non diabetic, was I diabetic or am I in remission or will the first and only blood test be dismissed as it was not two consecutive ones

Hope that makes sense.

Alan 😉

I was diagnosed with diabetes 3 months ago (only one blood test said diabetic,) if my next two blood tests say "normal" ie non diabetic, was I diabetic or am I in remission or will the first and only blood test be dismissed as it was not two consecutive ones

Hope that makes sense.

Alan 😉
This is something that can be confusing partly because the policy can differ between GP practices but also the result of the test and if there are any factors which might have influenced the result, if border line then a second test to diagnose would be more likely or if you had an infection at the time or if you are anaemic.
Once diagnosed then you will always be diabetic even if your HbA1C is normal.
The definition of remission is 2 consecutive HbA1C tests giving a below 48mmol/mol without medication.
I personally feel that is odd when the diagnostic threshold for diagnosis is 48mmol/mol and normal would be below 42mmol/mol, but who is to reason why.

I find it hard to understand that I would be classed as diabetic based on one blood test if the next two showed me to be "non diabetic".

My one and only test showed my HbA1C to be 51, (yep, diabetic)

I have worked my guts out to lose weight and have lost 1 1/2 stone plus in 11 weeks, my BMI is now 23.8 and my finger prick test is 5.3 (non diabetic)

All that said, my interest in diabetes has been aroused and I am interested to learn more about it, but I guess with all the anomalies associated with diabetes, I will never be an expert.

I find it hard to understand that I would be classed as diabetic based on one blood test if the next two showed me to be "non diabetic".

My one and only test showed my HbA1C to be 51, (yep, diabetic)

I have worked my guts out to lose weight and have lost 1 1/2 stone plus in 11 weeks, my BMI is now 23.8 and my finger prick test is 5.3 (non diabetic)

All that said, my interest in diabetes has been aroused and I am interested to learn more about it, but I guess with all the anomalies associated with diabetes, I will never be an expert.
The definitive test though is an HbA1C not a finger prick as that is one isolated reading which will vary depending on lots of factors and in any event they measure different things.
But the dietary changes and weight loss will hopefully mean your HbA1C will be normal or at the very least below 48mmol/mol. At least if you have a diabetic diagnosis than you get the various checks which can pick up other things at an early stage.
I was diagnosed with an HbA1C of 50 and got in down to 42 in 3 months and to below 40 in another 6 but I am quite happy to be categorised as diabetic as I get eye checks, foot checks and routine blood tests for kidney and liver function of course it can't turn the clock back and make me 20 years younger.

The NHS has adopted a globally agreed consensus (Not sure by who, but it seems to be a lot of experts in diabetes and organisations around the world decided it in 2021!) of < 48 without medication after 3 months. This is what the code of 'Diabetes (Remission)' is for.

The reason for still being considered diabetic by the health service is because... the root cause hasn't gone away and this is why even when coded as 'in remission' we still get the annual checks. IE returning to an old diet or regaining weight will see it come back. Although I believe you don't have to specify you are diabetic anymore for insurance/employment purposes, so in that sense you aren't considered diabetic.

Even if you have got normal levels, it may be that the insulin resistance/beta cell dysfunction is still present, but it's just under control.

The definitive test though is an HbA1C not a finger prick as that is one isolated reading which will vary depending on lots of factors and in any event they measure different things.
But the dietary changes and weight loss will hopefully mean your HbA1C will be normal or at the very least below 48mmol/mol. At least if you have a diabetic diagnosis than you get the various checks which can pick up other things at an early stage.
I was diagnosed with an HbA1C of 50 and got in down to 42 in 3 months and to below 40 in another 6 but I am quite happy to be categorised as diabetic as I get eye checks, foot checks and routine blood tests for kidney and liver function of course it can't turn the clock back and make me 20 years younger.
If I could turn the clock back 20 years, I think my wife would have a few worries :D

I only ever got one diabetic level HbA1c test - but it was 91, and I was verging on spherical.
If I wasn't a diabetic, I'm a Dutchman - as my grandmother would have said.

Back