To test or not to test

Status
Not open for further replies.

HalfpipMarathon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have posted about my dilemma choosing between GlucoRX and Libre 2. GlucoRX sensors are cheaper and you don't have to scan two reasons I was attracted to the CGM but sre these good enough to spend or risk spending on the starter pack.

I bought a Libre 2 sensor a week ago yet I have not used it. I have got so used to not testing that I am not sure if I should take it back and get a refund or keep it.

Great though it is and it's helped me reduce my HbA1c by keeping an eye on my blood sugars and staying in range a little voice keeps nagging me saying I don't need to test

I

What's your a1c? That should tell you whether your control is good and you don't need to test, or whether you could improve your control by testing.

What's your a1c? That should tell you whether your control is good and you don't need to test, or whether you could improve your control by testing.
It was 7.2 . The Dr I saw when I showed her my readings when I finger pricked said I don't have a designated DSN as my control is good. Not perfect but not out of control either.

7.2% is equivalent to 55, which is a bit above target (Diabetes uk says aim under 6.5% / 48) so you might be able to improve it through fingerpricking or using sensors, to adjust your diet, and reduce the risk of future complications

Great though it is and it's helped me reduce my HbA1c by keeping an eye on my blood sugars and staying in range a little voice keeps nagging me saying I don't need to test

I think it’s a very personal thing - there isn’t really anyone who can tell you whether self-monitoring is right for you - it’s really something you have to decide for yourself.

Have you been told not to monitor your BG levels by your Dr or nurse? Would it have been easier if you had been encouraged / given permission?

Are you aware of any negative consequences of your self monitoring? Does it cause stress, upset, or dominate your thinking?

It sounds like you are finding the information helpful in terms of adjusting your food choices.

Do you think it would be easier to reduce your HbA1c with, or without the information that monitoring is giving you?

Or are you happy with your HbA1c as it is?

I think it’s a very personal thing - there isn’t really anyone who can tell you whether self-monitoring is right for you - it’s really something you have to decide for yourself.

Have you been told not to monitor your BG levels by your Dr or nurse? Would it have been easier if you had been encouraged / given permission?

Are you aware of any negative consequences of your self monitoring? Does it cause stress, upset, or dominate your thinking?

It sounds like you are finding the information helpful in terms of adjusting your food choices.

Do you think it would be easier to reduce your HbA1c with, or without the information that monitoring is giving you?

Or are you happy with your HbA1c as it is?
When I was first diagnosed almost 20years ago I was given a blood glucose meter with strips and lancets and a booklet to record the results in. Once the Nurse or Dr had reviewed the results that was it; I wasn't encouraged to carry on testing so I didn't.

I had good control over the years then fast forward to last year a Dr called to say my HbA1c was high (can't remember what it was) and if I didn't get it down I could end up on insulin which scared me. At my review I asked the Nurse if it was inevitable and she said I was within my right to refuse to have injections but would have to sign something to say I understand the risks. She said the area ccg didn't encourage finger pricking. I think it's down to cost isn't everything!

I finger pricked from 21st Jan this year to July when I was accepted for a trial of the Libre 2. I got stressed out about high readings which because stress can affect bg was counter productive. It was the same for a while on Libre but not as bad. So I would say one negative would be getting obsessed with readings especially high ones.

I self fund Libre as can't get it on prescription although my Dr said that eventually type 2 like myself who aren't on insulin and medication that might cause hypos will get it on prescription but I won't hold my breath.

When I was first diagnosed almost 20years ago I was given a blood glucose meter with strips and lancets and a booklet to record the results in. Once the Nurse or Dr had reviewed the results that was it; I wasn't encouraged to carry on testing so I didn't.

I had good control over the years then fast forward to last year a Dr called to say my HbA1c was high (can't remember what it was) and if I didn't get it down I could end up on insulin which scared me. At my review I asked the Nurse if it was inevitable and she said I was within my right to refuse to have injections but would have to sign something to say I understand the risks. She said the area ccg didn't encourage finger pricking. I think it's down to cost isn't everything!

I finger pricked from 21st Jan this year to July when I was accepted for a trial of the Libre 2. I got stressed out about high readings which because stress can affect bg was counter productive. It was the same for a while on Libre but not as bad. So I would say one negative would be getting obsessed with readings especially high ones.

I self fund Libre as can't get it on prescription although my Dr said that eventually type 2 like myself who aren't on insulin and medication that might cause hypos will get it on prescription but I won't hold my breath.
I think that nurse did you a disservice by suggesting that you stopped testing, even reduced testing would have alerted you to rising blood glucose and you could have done something about it.

When were you taking your BG checks? Were you using ‘before and 2hr after‘ checks around meals to see how you responded to different portions and sources of carbs? Or were you monitoring at more random times?

Were you able to take action based on the results of your readings? And use them help adjust your management strategies?

When were you taking your BG checks? Were you using ‘before and 2hr after‘ checks around meals to see how you responded to different portions and sources of carbs? Or were you monitoring at more random times?

Were you able to take action based on the results of your readings? And use them help adjust your management strategies?
I was talking before breakfast after breakfast before lunch and after etc however when I am at work I often forget hence it was when I remembered and why I was attracted to GlucoRx as I didn't have to remember to scan.

It's not necessarily the Nurse'as fault as she is just following instructions from those who hold the purse strings. Obviously from a mental health point of view they discourage testing for type 2 diabetics but money is the main reason.

I am hoping that eventually Libre 3 will be available to purchase like Libre 2.

I don't eat a lot of bread and limited my consumption of high carb foods which improved my TIR and resulted in weight loss. I had lost 2 stone before my one but last review and another stone before my last review on 1st Sept 2022 so I obviously want to carry this on and get my HbA1c under 7.

Despite the above I have mixed feelings regarding testing via a scan.

I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back