to pump or not to pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedidiabetic

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi , my control is pretty good but my nurse thinks i may be better using a pump, are they any better than injections ? And which pumps does anyone recommend?

Hi and welcome to the forum,
Pumps are fantastic but a lot of hard work and you only get out of the pump what you put in. What ever pump you choose you will love as you don't have anything else to compare with.

I am just a bit concerned about the tubing as i have a manual job with lots of lifting,carrying and getting in and out of forklifts etc,and im into fitness and dont want to be taking it on and off again to go running,gym etc.

I am just a bit concerned about the tubing as i have a manual job with lots of lifting,carrying and getting in and out of forklifts etc,and im into fitness and dont want to be taking it on and off again to go running,gym etc.
The tubing is under your clothing so not an issue 🙂 I worked on farms for many years and ran my own stud farm and didn't once snag the tubing. 🙂

I'd love a pump, but my team won't entertain it, I'm sure I'd have better control with one.

That's the whole thing Lucy - yes we do have far better control of our BG for far longer every day, than we can manage with jabs - and that applies to every insulin using diabetic in the world.

But - as Sue says - easy peasy they ain't when you first get em especially when you've been treating your own D for a good while - cos though you know what in theory you need to do, since you have to do different things to get that effect with a pump - and of course to begin with - you don't know how to do it whilst making the dinner/bathing the baby etc. So - you have to sit down and THINK about it first and throughout! LOL

Imagine having to think about it, instead of doing it on autopilot - how tedious 😱

But, just like the carb counting and working out boluses/corrections and testing and jabbing - it very quickly becomes the norm, and you just 'do' stuff without any fuss. In fact - same as you are now,

But - better!

What pumps have you been offered to choose between? - not all hospitals are familiar with every one available.

I love my pump. Adore it.

I'm a tutor/teacher and I also work with lots of very little kids and lots of children with severe special needs. Lots of physical contact. (I'm taught and have had to restrain children in the past). Never had a problem with the Tubing pulling out or anything

I have just started on a pump and love it already. I went for one without tubing as this suited me best. Find out which ones are on offer in your area.

Hello Jedidiabetic and welcome 🙂

What are the reasons your DSN gave for suggesting a pump instead of injections?

For me the removal of long acting insulin from my life was a life saver. Running on just quick acting insulin does take a bit of adjustment and you do need to be super vigilant of interrupted insulin delivery, failed cannulas etc. If my bg is rising fast and I've ruled out operator error then I change my cannula to ensure I get an insulin supply back asap and avoid DKA.

As Jenny says using a pump does soon become the new norm and when I had to return to using injections when my pump had a problem I was absolutely terrified at the thought of working out injection doses , it felt like starting again!

It is so rare that I manage to pull my tubing out, the only culprit has been the kitchen door handle and the kitchen drawer handle when I was standing too close. It is easily put right if you carry spare sets in your kit.

The tiny increments of insulin make control more accurate and the different basal settings can really help on days you're doing something different or working shifts etc.

I've used a Roche way back and now a Medtronic but whatever you choose it will do the same thing with a slightly different arrangement of menus, buttons and some have a remote handset. Ask about the Omnipod which is a tubeless patch style pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back