Status
Not open for further replies.

SherbetLemon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
My endocrinologist (I have Addison's Disease as well) has suggested Tirzepatide as Liliglipten isn't working for my Type2. He also said it's my last option before Insulin. However, I have multiple chronic medical conditions, including severe bowel issues they currently suspect to be Chrons (upcoming colonoscopy to confirm). This makes me hesitant to try anything that a) I can't stop immediately should I have a reaction, b) already has recorded bowel reactions to it, and c) is still fairly new to the market, so under-researched when it comes to my health conditions.

I apologise if it's an overshare but recently my bowel issues became so bad they landed me in hospital after causing an Addison's crisis, which can be deadly. So it's not just a case of "it'd be a bad week or two of tummy pain"; this could be really dangerous if it went wrong.

Has anyone got any advice or experience to share? I'm yet to see the actual diabetes clinic, and part of me is considering asking to take the leap onto insulin if that's my option VS bowel issues. I know that would be a big, life changing decision. I'm also aware that this drug is also used for weight loss; I am overweight but am also a wheelchair user on a limited diet because of Chrons, so please don't advocate weight loss to me. Many thanks.

No experience personally of that type of drug, but going on to insulin was the best thing ever for me. I am thankful that at the time flozins and gliptides were not part of the routine pathway for Type 2s. Don't be scared of insulin!

My endocrinologist (I have Addison's Disease as well) has suggested Tirzepatide as Liliglipten isn't working for my Type2. He also said it's my last option before Insulin. However, I have multiple chronic medical conditions, including severe bowel issues they currently suspect to be Chrons (upcoming colonoscopy to confirm). This makes me hesitant to try anything that a) I can't stop immediately should I have a reaction, b) already has recorded bowel reactions to it, and c) is still fairly new to the market, so under-researched when it comes to my health conditions.

I apologise if it's an overshare but recently my bowel issues became so bad they landed me in hospital after causing an Addison's crisis, which can be deadly. So it's not just a case of "it'd be a bad week or two of tummy pain"; this could be really dangerous if it went wrong.

Has anyone got any advice or experience to share? I'm yet to see the actual diabetes clinic, and part of me is considering asking to take the leap onto insulin if that's my option VS bowel issues. I know that would be a big, life changing decision. I'm also aware that this drug is also used for weight loss; I am overweight but am also a wheelchair user on a limited diet because of Chrons, so please don't advocate weight loss to me. Many thanks.
This is a link to information about the drug on the main DUK site.
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about-us/news-and-views/mounjaro-approved-nice-treating-type-2-diabetes

I hope the colonoscopy clarifies your diagnosis. My other half was diagnosed with Crohn's many years ago but is largely asymptomatic with occasional flare ups, a couple of more recent ones he ended up in hospital. The first occasion he was diagnosed as having 'stump appendicitis' quite unusual as he had had his appendix removed 50 plus years ago but a bit had got left behind and that had ruptured and caused a huge infection. After the most recent flare up he was given a course of steroids which resulted in him putting on weight, this was followed by immunosuppressants which he did not tolerate well so he stopped them and is now not on any medication for the Crohn's. During the flare up he was advised to have a low fibre diet but eat normally when there was no problem. So tough wood all is well at the moment.
As well as cameras from both directions he also had calprotectin faecal test as that is also diagnostic.
The website of the charity Guts UK has very good info about a whole range of gut conditions.

Mounjaro is a new drug, but it is aimed at weight loss. If that isn’t your goal and you’d prefer to stay at your current diet then you’d be better trying a different medication I’d think.

Mounjaro is a new drug, but it is aimed at weight loss. If that isn’t your goal and you’d prefer to stay at your current diet then you’d be better trying a different medication I’d think.
Is Tirzepatide Mounjaro by another name? If I lose weight then I'm okay with it, but it's not my goal, if that makes sense, and I find it frustrating that some doctors can't see past a fat body without thinking they need to change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back