Tiredness

corriefan

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi I'm on holiday abroad and feel so bad for my partner but I'm getting extremely tired where as he has so much energy. I have to keep lying down in between and finding it a struggle managing my glucose levels.I was doing fantastically well before

Yes tiredness affects me

Drinking water and just accepting it and being firm and straight with others helps me personally

I can't go on that trip today , I am too tired for a meal out but a cuppa would be nice ?

Etc

Sorry to hear you are struggling but totally understandable as you are, I believe, very newly diagnosed and it all takes time to learn to balance your food and insulin and exercise, plus your body will still be recovering from the initial onset of your diabetes. There is no point in pushing yourself and ending up with a bad hypo or something so just do what you can and rest in between. I am sure if he was recovering from illness you would not be resenting him for needing rest, so don't be hard on yourself about not being able to make the most of this holiday for him. If he is good partner, he will want what is best for you. There will be other holidays to enjoy in the future when you get more experienced at managing your diabetes.

Out of curiosity, what sort of levels are you getting when you say you are struggling to manage it? Are you having lots of hypos or are your levels persistently high? Both can be exhausting!

Which insulins do you use and do you have a Libre or other CGM or are you finger pricking?

Yes tiredness affects me

Drinking water and just accepting it and being firm and straight with others helps me personally

I can't go on that trip today , I am too tired for a meal out but a cuppa would be nice ?

Etc
Thank you so much for replying glad I'm not alone xx

Sorry to hear you are struggling but totally understandable as you are, I believe, very newly diagnosed and it all takes time to learn to balance your food and insulin and exercise, plus your body will still be recovering from the initial onset of your diabetes. There is no point in pushing yourself and ending up with a bad hypo or something so just do what you can and rest in between. I am sure if he was recovering from illness you would not be resenting him for needing rest, so don't be hard on yourself about not being able to make the most of this holiday for him. If he is good partner, he will want what is best for you. There will be other holidays to enjoy in the future when you get more experienced at managing your diabetes.

Out of curiosity, what sort of levels are you getting when you say you are struggling to manage it? Are you having lots of hypos or are your levels persistently high? Both can be exhausting!

Which insulins do you use and do you have a Libre or other CGM or are you finger pricking?
Thank you for being so understanding.thsts right my first diabetic review with the consultant went very well.now I'm getting high the highest it's been is Friday 25 but now it's 14. I have a libre 2 and a glucose meter so check ketones too I'm on nova rapid and lantus x

So pleased you have Libre and a means to test for ketones to keep yourself safe. What are your overnight graphs like? Are you staying high most of the night? Are you having any hypos or lower readings in the 4s and 5s or are your levels persistently high?
When do you take your Lantus?
Can you post a screenshot of your Libre graph to see if we can suggest anything you could try?

Hi it was mostly very good it's only now I'm on holiday.when I first got diagnosed I was 117;gone down to 80 something
I take lantus normally around 8 but on 12 but been different this week.x

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-08-18-15-48-13-13_1f282d79cc470271d24365448b52b737.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-08-18-15-48-13-13_1f282d79cc470271d24365448b52b737.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 10
Are you saying that you take your Lantus at 8pm in the evening and that you take 12 units or that you have been taking the Lantus at 12 midnight whilst you have been away in which case how many units do you take?

That graph makes it look like your Lantus may be running out of activity about 3pm for your levels to consistently rise after that and then come back down about midnight presumably when the new dose is kicking in.

Last edited:
I take lantus about 9 pm on holiday and nova rapid 2 or 3 times of day I normally do 3 times because normally eat 3 meals a day however am only really managing 2 meals because my partner has booked really early trips so don't have time for breakfast x

Skipping meals and not taking your NovoRapid is fine and explains why the weekly average graph is mostly pretty flat up to that 3pm mark.
How much longer are you going to be away and do you feel confident to make some slight adjustment to your Lantus to see if it helps? How many units of Lantus do you take?
Do you have a half unit pen for Lantus or just whole units?

I am away till Friday on a cruise and than a hotel.i do yes I'm currently on 12 and my pen uses whole units I think thank you so much for your help x

In your situation I would increase my Lantus by 1 unit. The usual guidance is 10% (and 1units is actually slightly less than 10%, so should be reasonably safe) and see how that works out for 3 days before adjusting it any further if need be. Obviously, if you start having hypos then reduce it back to 12units the next night and don't wait 3 days.
What do you have your Libre low alarm set at? I would raise it to at least 5mmols and keep a closer eye on it than usual if I was increasing my basal just as an extra security measure.

I find basal insulin surprisingly powerful for something that is slow release so do be cautious with it particularly when doing exercise or increased activity and if you decide to increase it, don't do any more than 1 unit. That change can take up to 3 days to have full impact, so do keep a close eye on your levels for at least 3 days.

Having levels that high totally explains why you are wiped out. I start feeling lethargic about 8mmols and by 10 -12 it is like wading through treacle. At 25 my heart would be pounding in my chest like it was trying to get out! Drinking plenty of water will help or doing a correction?
Have you been told about corrections using your NovoRapid? So if you are high before a meal, taking extra insulin to bring it down as well as the insulin to cover the food you are going to eat and you will normally be given a suggested correction factor, which might be something like 1unit of insulin will drop your levels by 3mmols. This is a guideline only and some people find they are very insulin sensitive and 1 unit will drop them as much as 6mmols whilst others are more insulin resistant and 1 unit of insulin might only drop their levels by 1mmol.
If you haven't yet started using corrections then you might be better not trying that and certainly not in conjunction with making a basal insulin change. Diabetes is complicated so only make one change at a time and give it a few days to see how that works before you change it again or perhaps change something else. Always ensure you have your hypo treatments close to hand and particularly so when you are making increases to insulin doses and most importantly listen to your body. If it needs rest, it needs rest, if you feel hypo, double check with a finger prick if Libre says you aren't hypo. Technology is great but not totally reliable. Hope you are able to reduce those levels a little so that you have the energy to enjoy your holiday a bit more.

In your situation I would increase my Lantus by 1 unit. The usual guidance is 10% (and 1units is actually slightly less than 10%, so should be reasonably safe) and see how that works out for 3 days before adjusting it any further if need be. Obviously, if you start having hypos then reduce it back to 12units the next night and don't wait 3 days.
What do you have your Libre low alarm set at? I would raise it to at least 5mmols and keep a closer eye on it than usual if I was increasing my basal just as an extra security measure.

I find basal insulin surprisingly powerful for something that is slow release so do be cautious with it particularly when doing exercise or increased activity and if you decide to increase it, don't do any more than 1 unit. That change can take up to 3 days to have full impact, so do keep a close eye on your levels for at least 3 days.

Having levels that high totally explains why you are wiped out. I start feeling lethargic about 8mmols and by 10 -12 it is like wading through treacle. At 25 my heart would be pounding in my chest like it was trying to get out! Drinking plenty of water will help or doing a correction?
Have you been told about corrections using your NovoRapid? So if you are high before a meal, taking extra insulin to bring it down as well as the insulin to cover the food you are going to eat and you will normally be given a suggested correction factor, which might be something like 1unit of insulin will drop your levels by 3mmols. This is a guideline only and some people find they are very insulin sensitive and 1 unit will drop them as much as 6mmols whilst others are more insulin resistant and 1 unit of insulin might only drop their levels by 1mmol.
If you haven't yet started using corrections then you might be better not trying that and certainly not in conjunction with making a basal insulin change. Diabetes is complicated so only make one change at a time and give it a few days to see how that works before you change it again or perhaps change something else. Always ensure you have your hypo treatments close to hand and particularly so when you are making increases to insulin doses and most importantly listen to your body. If it needs rest, it needs rest, if you feel hypo, double check with a finger prick if Libre says you aren't hypo. Technology is great but not totally reliable. Hope you are able to reduce those levels a little so that you have the energy to enjoy your holiday a bit more.
Just wanted to say thank you so much for your advice I really appreciate everything you have said I have changed my insulin a bit and it's finally gone down to normal I have eaten a three course meal brushetta pasta and small pudding and feel a bit better and have rested thank you again so much sorry couldn't reply lost signal on ship xx

Back