Tired

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathy s

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Goid evening all,
Even if your sugars are well controlled, through meds and diet is it still possible to get diabetic symptoms such as fatigue. I'm off work with fatigue ( and stress but long story) but all bloods are coming back normal. Gp keeps saying you have the diabetes under control! So at a loss!
Thanks

Good evening all,
Even if your sugars are well controlled, through meds and diet is it still possible to get diabetic symptoms such as fatigue. I'm off work with fatigue ( and stress but long story) but all bloods are coming back normal. Gp keeps saying you have the diabetes under control! So at a loss!
Thanks
There is a condition known as Diabetes Fatigue Syndrome, which I would have thought your GP would know about.

Sorry to hear you are feeling so washed out. Do you know what tests they have done? Have they checked for vitamin B deficiency or vitamin D? If you are on Metformin, it can prevent the absorption of Vitamin B12 from food or oral supplements and if you are deficient you need injections of it.
Other thoughts are long Covid? Or ME perhaps? I think @Lucyr has had issues with severe fatigue and has been investigated for ME and is now getting support with it.

I went through a phase about 6 months into my diabetes diagnosis where I was struggling and even just holding my phone to my ear or washing my hair in the shower was really wearying but my BG levels were reasonably good. I never entirely got to the bottom of it but not long after I started on HRT patches (after battling pretty bad menopausal symptoms for 5 years) and it seemed to sort itself out. I am not sure the HRT patches were the answer or it just took time for my body to adjust to the new BG levels and it was coincidence, but things were hard work for maybe 2 months and like you I couldn't figure out if it was diabetes related or not. I felt that it was but couldn't understand why when my levels had improved. I hope you manage to pull out of it as well as quickly as I did.

I've been on HRT for about 18 months. I take 1 empagliflozin tablet daily for the diabetes. A whole load of tests fot for my diabetic check, all good and within range also tested for vitb12, d and folate, all normal. I know stress at work isn't helping but thus fatigue has been building for a while.

I was going to suggest that it may be vitamin deficiency so do check that you have had blood tests which would show that up. I was found to be low in vitamin D and folate and surmised it could have been because I had cut out many of the foods which are fortified with vitamins.
I now take a daily multivitamin tablet.
It could also just be your body adjusting to lower glucose level as you have done really well in getting it down so quickly.

So I'm signed off now, will discuss wirh doc at next visit if it could be diabetic fatigue syndrome. My bloods are now controlled ( diet and meds) but has it been to quick a change? My non diabetic friend says she thinks it's cause I need a little bit of sugar!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back