Tips to hold your tough when you here misconceptions around you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayray119

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
so i was in adili eailer was in adli and i heard to age old comment "you'll get diabetes if you get eat all that lot(now i didn't quite realise what the person who said attentions was before i opened my mouth apartelly she said to stop her child eating too much auger so i did feel bad(not that i agree with that method but i don't have kids so who i am to judge) usually when i here that i mange to not say anything but this time i turned around and said without thinking "excuse me but it doesn't work like that" like i said i didn't release what the intention was but pro belly still should have bit my touge a bit. U did explain that i was type diabetic. and i did apologise later one when i found the in que and told me she was sharecrops and said "i know about type 1 and 2 diabetes you're properly born with it)(so still doesn't quite understand) she did seem to exact my apogelly though

It’s hard isn’t it, you want to educate people but most of them don’t want to be educated. Unless people are asking direct questions it’s probably not worth trying to explain because they won’t listen. I remember once having a conversation with a lady who worked at the same primary school that I do, and she also had a daughter there, but I didn’t know her terribly well. We were talking one day and somehow my daughter’s diabetes came into it. She said she had a friend who had diabetes, she was out with her one day when the friend became ill, she described perfectly the symptoms of a hypo and then said that the friend hadn’t taken her injection. I tried to explain that that doesn’t sound right, it sounds more like she needed sugar rather than an injection, but the lady was determined that once her friend had had her injection she was fine again. Sigh. (And it didn’t sound like the lady was so sick that she needed glucagon!) I gave up then!
I realise it’s hard not to say anything sometimes though when you hear people spouting complete rubbish, I don’t know what you can do about it though :(

Yeah she I said that im type 1 diabetic she said "excuse me but that's not relevant" I just told her when I said after I heard her call me wirdeo for saying something.

I hope those kids don't end up getting any type of diabetes though otherwise they might think they caused it.

Probably a bad time to say I caused mine by eating too much junk food then?
The other side of admitting that is I reversed mine by the same ideology, I ate my way out of it.

Ah; I know there are higher risks associated with type 2 but that's not always the case for that. And people that say these things say diabetes in general. Also she seemed think youre born with the type 1 dianetties and type it's type 2 you get when you're older. As she said when when she told me she knew about the difference of type 1 and type 2 when she's a pharimist(which afterwards I thought that makes it even worse to be saying these comments)

Probably a bad time to say I caused mine by eating too much junk food then?
The other side of admitting that is I reversed mine by the same ideology, I ate my way out of it.

Personally I would not have a problem with someone saying this. I am sure I may well have said something like "I will give myself diabetes" as I was guzzling chocolate on a night shift to keep myself awake at 3am, so I could hardly criticize others for something I might have said myself. Why should you expect people to know everything about diabetes. I knew almost nothing until I was diagnosed and I think most people are the same.
I also think there is an element of being born with Type 1 in the sense that you have genetics which make you predisposed to autoimmune attack. It may be triggered as a child or young adult or more mature person, but I think the potential for it to develop is there from birth. That may not be what this person that you overheard meant but it is a possible explanation. As regards being a pharmacist, why should she have any in depth knowledge of diabetes. Many GPs still don't know that Type 1 can exhibit in adults and not just children. I certainly wouldn't expect a pharmacist to have more knowledge.

Personally I still consider that my diet and lifestyle may have been the trigger for my diabetes and I am mature enough to accept that responsibility and use it to motivate myself to change things and manage my diabetes as well as I can..... rather like @travellor, but within the confines of it being Type 1 and therefore not reversible.

I don't expect people to know to know everything about diabetes I didn't say to make them feel bad and like I said if I realised who they were talking to in the first place I probably wouldn't have said anything. As yes I get your point however she actually claimed she knew about it yet because she was a pharmacist but I did apogise for saying somethingm but I wasn't actually having a go saying something. But I still personally think there should be more awareness about these miscomprehension after all it's people being told this when you get that are responsible for the comments "should you be eating that" . It wasn't at all criticiseimg it was trying to explain a miscommunication.

I don't expect people to know to know everything about diabetes I didn't say to make them feel bad and like I said if I realised who they were talking to in the first place I probably wouldn't have said anything. As yes I get your point however she actually claimed she knew about it yet because she was a pharmacist but I did apogise for saying somethingm but I wasn't actually having a go saying something. But I still personally think there should be more awareness about these miscomprehension after all it's people being told this when you get that are responsible for the comments "should you be eating that" . It wasn't at all criticiseimg it was trying to explain a miscommunication.

"should you be eating that"

Possibly one of the most used phrases on this website when someone eats a Weetabix for breakfast.

Years ago, my A Level art Tutor, called Geoff, use to tell me not to drink hot chocolate at break times. He used to say, 'Look at the state of you, it makes you hyperactive, and will give you diabetes."
It took a few years, but his prediction was right, I do have diabetes. Was it caused by drinking hot chocolate? That would be an unusual cause of Type 1, but still, the prediction was spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back