tips on finger prick test!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonrudd

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I've found recently its almost impossible to get a waking blood sample, i'm sure its because the flat is cold and i dont have much blood near the surface. recently its almost impossible to get any one, this morning - for example - i washed my hands in hot water, turned the heating on made sure i was warm - then did it - but still after pricking myself at least 10 times and wasting 4 strips i still didnt manage to get enough blood out for 1 sample. what do others do??

i now have sore fingers :(

Thanks for the help..!

btw - if anyone is interested in Photoshop - i have a tutorial in this months Photoshop Creative magazine :D

Hi Simon, always leave a little delay between pricking the finger and squeezing for the blood - when you pierce the skin the body's natural reaction is to attempt to close the wound, but if you leave it a couple of seconds then it is fooled into thinking all is OK and returns the blood to the wounded area.

The warm water is usually sufficient for me. Does your fingerpricker have a variable depth control? Mine goes up to 5 but I have it set to 2 - might be an option. I was also told to 'milk' the blood by holding my arm down and squeezing up from the bottom of the finger if it was proving difficult to get blood.

Hope this helps - nothing more frustrating than going through a painfl fingerprick and not getting enough blood! Hope you are well Simon 🙂

cheers Northerner 🙂 i usually set mine at 3.5 i wonder if that is too deep. recently i've had no problems at all but today was a nightmare :( i gave up in the end.

Hi Simon,

Sometimes, I haven't got the setting right and the needle doesn't go in far enough. Washing your hands in warm water and waiting for a few seconds after you've pricked your finger works.

Just had a look at your art work, it's incredible. I live in South East Norway and adore photography. There's no shortage of inspiration as we overlook a sea fjord. Today, we have blizzards!

Donna

Regarding the warm water bit - if my hands are cold then I leave my hands in a few inches of warm water for a few minutes. I only stab the sides of my fingers.

I hope that helps.

donnarob - thanks for the advice :D glad you like my work :D i'd love to go to Norway one day - i've heard the sights are amazing :D

brightontez - i've been soaking them and pricking them as soon as possible (after my hands are dry) when it was warmer i was having no problems but the last couple of weeks have been a nightmare :( thanks for the help

Hi Simon

Hot unusual for me to need to try several different fingers, or different parts of different fingers to get a good drop out. Have been testing at 6-10 times a day for most of this year and the callouses on the sides of my fingers are now giving the guitar-related ones on the tips of my fingers a run for their money :D

Sometimes letting my hands hang by my sides for a minute or so seems to help, but mostly I just keep chugging away with the lancing device till I get a good un!

Simon, Sorry this is of the subject, but I reconise your name.

Have you every worked with Hangarseven, The Raft, Fourninety or Symmetry??

everydayupsanddowns - 6-10 times a day, bl00dy hell :( how on earth do you manage to do that. i find once a day hard enough. i feel for you :(

Dizzydi - Hi, no i dont think i have Imagine and Ilex press are probably my biggest clients. here are my published examples http://simonrudd.info/index.php?choice=publications :D

how on earth do you manage to do that. i find once a day hard enough. i feel for you :(

Ha yes! Can be a little tricky to find a good spot. I'm on both sides of all fingers on my right hand at the mo. My left hand may need to come into play soon...

M

my little finger on my right hand is the best for me :D

I tend to use the side of my finger away from the nail as the pad hurts too much and I get a better drop of blood that way, even if my hands are cold. I vary fingers as well since I'm testing up to 8 times at the moment and I have tiny black spots everywhere. Mostly though I use the ring and little fingers of either hand. I'm told you can use your toes as well but that requires a level of yoga I'm no longer capable of.

I tend to use the side of my fingers as well. Also i use a sample from my arm but you do have to use a special thingy for your pricker for this and i must admitt that this for me is the most comfortable way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back