Tips for flying/airports

Status
Not open for further replies.

pawprint91

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
I know I’ve been piggy-backing on various threads over the last few weeks, but I’ve got a long haul flight coming up next week (my first long haul in 9 years and my first ever with diabetes) and I was hoping to pick everybody’s brains for pieces of advice, however big or small!

I know to take twice as much as I need in terms of supplies, to take solid hypo treatments rather than liquid and I am allowed to take an extra bag for this rather than my hand luggage. The airline has also said I am okay to take a cooling wallet (so frio pouch) through security, after I saw others on here had struggled with that in the past.

What do you do about time zones and background insulin (I’m on Levemir; if I move to the new time zone I’m 6 hours behind UK time which would mean I’m injecting at 4pm and 4am approximately… if I start from when I land which will be 11pm uk time)? I’m guessing you just do that and then slowly move it forward as I’ve seen people mention doing with single dose long acting insulin?

Also, has anyone ever worn flight socks? A study was shared with me about how no effects were found when diabetics wore them (I have no foot problems) but before I ask a nurse I’d rather find out from somebody on here!

Any other experiences/tips/advice greatly appreciated; thanks in advance!

I'm not most experienced either in diabetes (Jan 23) or long haul with it but I have had one trip to north America in the last couple of month

Regarding timings, because I was hopping around a bit between time zones I actually just stuck to my UK time which meant doing basal in the middle of the night. Not ideal but I wasn't away for long enough to merit phasing out and then phasing back in. But I'm on single dose Lantus so yours might be easier to fiddle around with

Have you got yourself a letter explaining diabetes? I didn't have to show anything but it was comforting to have given the potential for less than friendly border control

No experience with the socks

And each to their own on this one but I found it much easier (and tastier) to eat before the plane and then skip the meals on board. To be fair the food looked fine but it removed the guessing game element for me

Enjoy the trip

Some people leave theirs alone if only away for a short period, though I'd certainly shift it enough that it's bearable timewise. I moved mine completely when I was last away (for 3 weeks).

You could just gradually move your dose some number of hours at a time (say 3) in preparation for going and continue once you arrive until it's where you want it, or leave a gap/take a very reduced dose and then restart (working on the back-of-the-envelope assumption that it will only ever be 6h later than it should have been) and accept you may run a little high during that first day - travel (the getting to the airport, on the plane, to the hotel/etc on the other end) does weird things to blood glucose, I can run high or I can run low, I would prefer to run on the higher end and not eat much than risk going low and need to find food.

My basal injection times (pre-breakfast and pre-bed) can vary considerably day to day, which I don't find causes me noticeable problems, and I also make large changes to my doses to adjust for exercise. Nothing explodes if you get it wrong, you just run a bit high and need to take more bolus.

Before starting my pump, I was on Lantus.
If I was going for a short trip, I would keep the basal time the same (and set a timer on my phone to remind me). For a longer trip, I would move the time by an hour each day until it was the time I wanted. Depending upon the direction of travel, this may mean changing before I got or changing once I arrived. Whichever ensured I did not need to wake up to dose.
I think this should be easier with a 2 dose a day basal.

If you want to move the timing quicker, I would always err on being without basal for a few hours during waking hours so I could correct with a bolus correction.

If you are concerned about security, Heathrow has a secret security area in some terminals for people with disabilities or potential difficulties. I only used this once: at that time it was used by families with rowdy children so less relaxing than the usual security area. You can also wear a sunflower lanyard but, in my experience, most people seem to ignore this.

I know some people talk about telling airlines and airport security about their diabetes. I prefer not to unless asked and I am very rarely asked.
In the days when we spoke to someone whilst checking in and dropping off luggage, my evil twin used to enjoy answering "yes" to "do you have any sharps in your hand luggage" and then waiting long enough for the check in staff to appear worried before adding that I had diabetes so they would relax. Had to get my kicks somehow.

Keep all your diabetes kit on your (extra) hand luggage and make sure your hypo treatment is with you in the seat not the overhead locker. I can tell you from experience it is not good having a hypo whilst taking off and realising I need to take my seatbelt off to get to my Dextrose.

My other advice is don't be afraid to use diabetes if things are not going well. For example, when my flight was redirected and we spent 4 hours on the tarmac waiting for a bus, I explained I had diabetes and needed some food. I may have been slightly economical with the truth (it was my non-diabetic partner who was getting antsy because he was hungry) but I feel that I was dealt a dud hand so karma owed me. I do this very rarely (twice in 20 years) so don't feel too guilty.

Final advice - have an amazing time.

When I went to Mexico I changed the timing over a few days, starting in the uk before we left. Not doing long haul in a long while now but I bet it’s so much easier with a pump, Tenerife is the same time zone so can’t even test the difference in a few weeks.

I always keep hypo treatments, insulin and my spare taster in reaching distance because you just never know

We have flown to New Zealand twice from Birmingham-Dubai-Melbourne-Auckland around 24 hours in the air and 30 hours total. Departing Birmingham at 19.30 I did my Lantus shot around midnight then when the food arrives injected as required. When we arrived in Auckland at 2pm one day ahead did my Lantus that night as normal.
I used a Frio cool bag placed on top my hand luggage which was on the floor so it could ‘breath’. Keep your hand luggage small so if you have to get off fast it’s with you. Flight socks? I couldn’t get them on. We had two seats at the rear of the A380 my wife put her feet on my lap and wiggled her toes and when I tickled her feet it awoke the whole section

I have never worn flight socks.
However, I was given compression socks to wear after an operation for a couple of days. The surgery team who gave them to be were fully aware I had diabetes. So I see no reason for them to be a problem.
I have not seen a need for them. I always try to get an aisle seat so I can get out and wander around the cabin between movies. Even when seated, I am a fidget.

When I was on a split Levemir I travelled to eight hours difference. I moved my doses gradually before I left and then once there I switched my night and day dose over.

I keep all my diabetes stuff with us and take twice as much as I need. I split this between two bags if travelling with others.
I have a letter from DSN but have only needed it twice in two years. Still essential to have it.

In security I make sure I had hypo stuff (solid) in my pocket. (I was separated from my bag which had gone through and then delayed getting through to them and then hypoed). They seem very used to diabetes stuff now and it rarely cause any problems. One issue in USA but once sorted big apologies and the member of staff concerned was taken off the line for ‘re-education’

I do carb guessing on the planes with meals and just sort things out with corrections if necessary afterwards.

So be well prepared, allow plenty of time to get through the systems and then relax and enjoy your holiday.

If you get stuck whilst away the forum is here. Good to know, and then probably not needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back