Time to stop just reading and join in

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi I joined way back in May but stoped posting after a while, however i still come on most days to read everything so thought it was about time i participated a bit more, which i feel i need to do as ive realised i cant cope with all this on my own🙂 hba1c good on 2 x metformin a day but cholesteral gone from 4.7 up to 5 now hv six months to get it back down or i have to go on statins! But have droped from a size 18 jeans to 14 so not all bad!

Hi Nickie and welcome back great to see you posting again and great news on the weight loss thats an amazing 4 dress sizes , you now realise you need people around you and we are the nicest bunch around so join in hope to see you posting soon x on the cholestrol rise Reducing your total fat intake is one important thing, then eliminating your consumption of saturated fat and increasing your consumption of soluble fiber. Unprocessed plant foods like vegetable is, dried beans, lentils, fruit and oats are sources of soluble fibers that helps us to lower cholesterol. Stop smoking and taking regular exercise will also help you lower your cholesterol.if infact you do smoke x

Last edited:
Welcome back,

Well done on the weight loss 🙂

I do smoke unfortunatly but my nurse reckons get the cholesteral down and then tackle the smoking i think she thinks too much at once will be to much so although its a long way off i plan to kick the disgusting habit on my daughter birthday 30th August! Ive also got to try eating some oily fish Yuk!

I do smoke unfortunatly but my nurse reckons get the cholesteral down and then tackle the smoking i think she thinks too much at once will be to much so although its a long way off i plan to kick the disgusting habit on my daughter birthday 30th August! Ive also got to try eating some oily fish Yuk!

Try sardines on toast there nice and if you are not keen on the oilyness the toast will take some of the taste away.

Ask for some champix, i give up for 6 weeks now, try some tinned salmon? if you dont like the fresh stuff/?

Ask for some champix, i give up for 6 weeks now, try some tinned salmon? if you dont like the fresh stuff/?

ooooh goodness yes please try the tinned salmon it is lovely i have a salmon salad once a week.

does the tinned salmon have those tiny little bones in it? Or am i thinking of another tinned fish my nan used to give me in sandwiches, i just remember it was full of bones!

does the tinned salmon have those tiny little bones in it? Or am i thinking of another tinned fish my nan used to give me in sandwiches, i just remember it was full of bones!

it does yes but for a minutes job of taking them out the salmon is well worth it lol.

Is champix tablets? My nurse was talking about the patches i dont think ive heard of champix, how are you finding the giving up?

okay ill add salmon and sardines to my shoping list id rather that than have to take more tablets🙂

Is champix tablets? My nurse was talking about the patches i dont think ive heard of champix, how are you finding the giving up?

Yer they are tablets, there is another tablet called zyban to, finiding it well giving up thanks

Hi Nickie, great to see you back posting - I do miss people! Terrific news on the weight loss - well done! I would urge you to reconsider about when you stop smoking though. You intend to do it anyway, so why not get the pain out of the way now? I think if you let the pressure build up until August it may be even more difficult by then. In reality, it is two to three weeks of withdrawal symptoms when you should just let yourself be as grouchy and irritable as you want - the rewards will be tremendous! When I stopped, I said to myself 'bring it on!' - let the evil things try their hardest and revel in the feeling as you rid yourself of them! You'll also save enough money for a really special present for your daughter🙂

Stopping smoking is one of the best things you can do when you have diabetes. It actually helps your blood sugar control, and will be a huge help to your cardio-vascular system - a far greater effect than reducing your cholesterol would be from 5 to 4, so I'm surprised that your nurse suggested you tackle the two things in that order. You might think that you can't get through the day without a cigarette, but millions of people do - it's not easy, but there is help available, so please consider it!

Another little point (sorry to bang on about this!) - don't think of it as 'giving up' as that suggests you are letting go of something that brings you pleasure and benefits your health. Start calling it 'stopping', as you will be stopping something that is having a big controlling and economically draining effect on you!

Don't know how much ciggies are now, but assuming they're ?5 for a pack of 20, I've saved myself over ?16,000 since giving up 9 years ago.

Do you want any more incentive to stop now? 🙂

Andy

p.s. I can give you loads of other benefits, but I won't bore you with them now!

Last edited:
Thankyou Northener your reply seemed to really hit me hard,(in a good way!) ive allways had loads of excuses not to stop, i think i need to stop making excuses now! I pay just over ?5 for 20 maybe ill work out how much i spend in a year or evan a month that will shock me! Im going to pick up Alan Carrs no smoking book tonight and book tomorrow to see my nurse! ,Mind you ill prob have to wait a couple of weeks to see her but i need to start the ball rolling🙂

Thankyou Northener your reply seemed to really hit me hard,(in a good way!) ive allways had loads of excuses not to stop, i think i need to stop making excuses now! I pay just over ?5 for 20 maybe ill work out how much i spend in a year or evan a month that will shock me! Im going to pick up Alan Carrs no smoking book tonight and book tomorrow to see my nurse! ,Mind you ill prob have to wait a couple of weeks to see her but i need to start the ball rolling🙂

Excellent! Allen Carr really helped me stop after 20 years smoking - he simply shows up every 'reason' we think we have for continuing as an excuse driven by the addiction to nicotine. It's only about the same price as a packet of ciggies for his book. You can do it Nickie!🙂 I'm living proof that they make absolutely no difference to your life, except to cost you money and spoil your health - the sooner you stop, the sooner you get the benefits 🙂

Last edited:
Thankyou, no doubt ill be ranting on here in a few weeks time when i hit the worst of it but I AM going to do this x

Ring nhs direct 08001690169 open from 7 am to 11 pm everyday
or www.nhs.uk/smokefree they will advise on your best way to give up🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back