Time to say hello

Marcus

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello.

I have read the posts for over two years and thought it was time to say hello.

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in November 2021 after three blood tests, with the last one being a fasting test.

I was called by the receptionist at the surgery advising me I needed a telephone appointment with the GP because I had diabetes.
I wasn't impressed when the receptionist told me this. When the GP called, I advised him that I don't expect to be told my medical condition by someone who is not medically qualified.

The GP didn't provide much information but said my HbA1c was 58, and I needed to see a practice nurse. He prescribed two 500mg Metformin tablets per day.
I saw the nurse, and she gave me a booklet from diabetes.org.uk, and provided minimal additional information.

I asked about sugar intake and whether there was a daily limit, as I knew some products contained sugar.
Her answer: You don't need to worry; eat what you want, and Metformin will control your level.

I ignored her comment because I knew I couldn't continue eating what I wanted as I had before.

I was offered an Oviva course and considered using it, but after reading the information, I didn't have time to take a photo of every meal for them to review, so I didn't proceed with meeting with them. Also, my role at work at the time was very inflexible.

My next check was six months later, and the HbA1c was 42. I was then advised to reduce the dose to one Metformin tablet daily.
My last reading was 50 in June 2023. I was advised to continue taking one tablet daily; the next check would be in 12 months.

I had my feet checked in December 2021, and when I went in to have blood taken in June, I mentioned that the foot test should be every 12 months. I was told it had changed to 24 months. This may be different in Scotland from the rest of the UK.
However, it's almost 2.5 years, and I haven't had any further checks.
I check my feet daily and will contact the GP surgery if I notice any changes.

My first retinopathy check in January 2022 didn't highlight any problems. A minor change was detected in my retinopathy check in January 2023, as stated in the generic letter I received.
My next check was in December, and the change is still minor.

I visited the optometrist in December, and they showed me a small bleed in one eye, which they said was the issue detected by the retinopathy check. The optometrist said I had cataracts developing, which is common in people with diabetes.

I have started using the Libre 2 sensor. I bought a few, and when they have been used, I will revert to testing with a finger prick.
I won't buy any more because of the cost, as I cannot get them free.

The sensor is very useful for seeing what difference food makes to my level and what foods I should avoid. I have already tried to avoid potatoes, rice, and pasta, along with some other foods where I can. Whatever type of breakfast cereal I eat increases my level. I thought porridge would be good, and appreciate it affects everybody differently. Unfortunately, it increases my level too much.

I haven't been given a target to work with, so I'm trying to keep the level between 4 and 8 mmol/L, which is easier said than done, as anyone with diabetes will appreciate.

Apologies for the long post.

Welcome to the forum.
Sounds like your doctors surgery and nurse could use a few improvements, it was lucky you knew to check things yourself.

Well done for taking extra steps yourself such as monitoring your blood sugar. Unfortunately it's a bit of a lottery post code with regard to treatment. I'm lucky that I live in a highly diabetic area so we not only have dedicated DNs, but also a retinopathy screening unit in the health centre. Plus my GP told me herself that I was diabetic rather than leaving it to a receptionist!

You may find this link useful though if you have been lurking for a while you may have already looked at it but there may be some ideas you have overlooked that could help stabilise your blood glucose though the levels you have posted look pretty good.

Hi Marcus,

And an official two year old welcome to the forum to you ;)

I'm sorry to hear you've had such little help from your practice and good on you for taking the proactive steps to inform yourself. Monitoring what works best for you food-wise is very important as you're absolutely correct - things affect folk differently. I won't sing the forum's praises as I'm sure over the years you've witnessed the greatness of its hivemind, but do ask away if you have any concerns at all!

Have you checked if there's any other diabetes support in your area, other than your practice, that you might be able to tap into?

Thank you for the replies.

I have previously looked at the Freshwell Project.
I will have to use some of their recipes, especially for breakfast. This morning, I had Lizi's Low-Sugar Granola.
I won't be eating that again. One hour later, it has increased my level by 5, and it is still rising.
The carbs are high in the product, as with most cereals.

I've checked for support groups, and there are some around Edinburgh and Glasgow, but nothing local.
If I were still living in England I would have been okay.

Welcome to the forum @Marcus and well done for ‘delurking’.

Congratulations on the positive changes you have made - they seem to be working really well for you :)

You may find this link useful though if you have been lurking for a while you may have already looked at it but there may be some ideas you have overlooked that could help stabilise your blood glucose though the levels you have posted look pretty good.
Hello.

I have read the posts for over two years and thought it was time to say hello.

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in November 2021 after three blood tests, with the last one being a fasting test.

I was called by the receptionist at the surgery advising me I needed a telephone appointment with the GP because I had diabetes.
I wasn't impressed when the receptionist told me this. When the GP called, I advised him that I don't expect to be told my medical condition by someone who is not medically qualified.

The GP didn't provide much information but said my HbA1c was 58, and I needed to see a practice nurse. He prescribed two 500mg Metformin tablets per day.
I saw the nurse, and she gave me a booklet from diabetes.org.uk, and provided minimal additional information.

I asked about sugar intake and whether there was a daily limit, as I knew some products contained sugar.
Her answer: You don't need to worry; eat what you want, and Metformin will control your level.

I ignored her comment because I knew I couldn't continue eating what I wanted as I had before.

I was offered an Oviva course and considered using it, but after reading the information, I didn't have time to take a photo of every meal for them to review, so I didn't proceed with meeting with them. Also, my role at work at the time was very inflexible.

My next check was six months later, and the HbA1c was 42. I was then advised to reduce the dose to one Metformin tablet daily.
My last reading was 50 in June 2023. I was advised to continue taking one tablet daily; the next check would be in 12 months.

I had my feet checked in December 2021, and when I went in to have blood taken in June, I mentioned that the foot test should be every 12 months. I was told it had changed to 24 months. This may be different in Scotland from the rest of the UK.
However, it's almost 2.5 years, and I haven't had any further checks.
I check my feet daily and will contact the GP surgery if I notice any changes.

My first retinopathy check in January 2022 didn't highlight any problems. A minor change was detected in my retinopathy check in January 2023, as stated in the generic letter I received.
My next check was in December, and the change is still minor.

I visited the optometrist in December, and they showed me a small bleed in one eye, which they said was the issue detected by the retinopathy check. The optometrist said I had cataracts developing, which is common in people with diabetes.

I have started using the Libre 2 sensor. I bought a few, and when they have been used, I will revert to testing with a finger prick.
I won't buy any more because of the cost, as I cannot get them free.

The sensor is very useful for seeing what difference food makes to my level and what foods I should avoid. I have already tried to avoid potatoes, rice, and pasta, along with some other foods where I can. Whatever type of breakfast cereal I eat increases my level. I thought porridge would be good, and appreciate it affects everybody differently. Unfortunately, it increases my level too much.

I haven't been given a target to work with, so I'm trying to keep the level between 4 and 8 mmol/L, which is easier said than done, as anyone with diabetes will appreciate.

Apologies for the long post.
My introduction to the NHS and duabetes was a pretty rum affair but not dissimilar to yourself. In a nutshell both my mum nd sad were late onset tT2, so I decided to get myself tested at a kocsl pharmacy, had a fasting test and it was normal He told me I should go to GP and get a blood test. So, I did and this is when the fun started The GP wasn't interested and said as I had no symptoms I couldn’t have a blood test, as I was new to this, I believed her. I then asked for a private test, she gave me the name of a clinic I had the test, they lost my sample, then found it and I was diagnosed diabetic. The receptionist explained the results to me on the basis of her dad being diabetic!

As the years went by and my HbA1c numbers were ok with not much change in diet. The nurses I see now believe I am not and have never been diabetic .

This has now continued with the never ending pestering to take a Statin, in the end I gave in and three months later it has resullted in elevated liver enzymes ( a side effect of Statins). Numerous blood tests for GP to see a trend. A preposed Liver ultra sound, no info from GP. My place of work getting a little bit irritated with the time off I need for blood tests, no weekend blood testing done.

All this mess, none of my doing. I now approach the surgery with grest caution . Good luck.

This morning, I had Lizi's Low-Sugar Granola.
I won't be eating that again. One hour later, it has increased my level by 5, and it is still rising.
Why not try a smaller portion? Or a walk after breakfast?

Back