Time to get back on track.

• Thread starter Thread starter Pat91
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pat91

After struggling with my excessive alcohol intake for the past 10 months or so now I have decided to quit the booze. Lay off the late night pizzas and get my arse into gear and focused on my diabeties care once more. Going to try and find a bit more happiness in my life too. Not the most interesting post I know but I think If I write it down it will keep me going in the weeks/months to come

Good for you. It can be really helpful to make some sort of public declaration to make you feel accountable. Please keep this post up to date with your achievements. Even if it is just that you didn't have a drink today? Every little goal is worth acknowledging.
My alcohol consumption had increased a bit too much recently so I am cutting back, but still allowing myself an occasional tipple and using a much smaller glass, which is helping.
My difficulty at the moment is that I can't motivate myself to cook and I am living off yoghurt and stewed rhubarb and seeds for breakfast and then picking at nuts or olives or cheese or pork scratchings the rest of the day. All low carb so not a problem for my diabetes but really need to get some green veggies and variety into my diet and sit down to a proper meal at least once a day. The other alternative I am contemplating is to use low calorie meal replacement shakes for a few weeks whilst I am short or time and inclination to cook, by which time I will probably be so desperate for real food, I will hopefully have overcome my malaise.

Anyway, good luck and keep us posted with your progress.

After struggling with my excessive alcohol intake for the past 10 months or so now I have decided to quit the booze. Lay off the late night pizzas and get my arse into gear and focused on my diabeties care once more. Going to try and find a bit more happiness in my life too. Not the most interesting post I know but I think If I write it down it will keep me going in the weeks/months to come
What do you call excessive out of curiosity?

I too have had alcohol issues in the past (pre diabeties) and now just treat myself to 1 beer every other evening. It’s a nice balance I think.

What do you call excessive out of curiosity?

I too have had alcohol issues in the past (pre diabeties) and now just treat myself to 1 beer every other evening. It’s a nice balance I think.
At the moment I'm drinking a bottle of whisky and probably 30 beers every 2 weeks.

At the moment I'm drinking a bottle of whisky and probably 30 beers every 2 weeks.
Wow, while not as bad as some I have known, that is seriously not good.

In my chosen lifestyle, it is all too easy to start the morning with a breakfast beer and a wee joint. This was especially true when I lived in South of France where we had 360 days out of 365 of glorious sunshine. As a result, I am all too familiar with alcoholism. In the UK, the final, [terminal] stages of alcoholism are often hidden from public view. Generally, when alcoholics get to that stage, they are put into sheltered accommodation, and, unless you have direct knowledge, most people are completely unaware of how bad it gets.

For example: In squat I used to stay in, an old 1930's style garage, we had a number of dogs. We kept finding what we assumed was dog poop in the living area. Man did those poor dogs got grief, that is until we discovered the old clochard, (early 40's,) was the one doing the pooping.

When asked why? He replied: "If I go to the toilet someone might steal my wine"

Okay, take your wine with you: "But if I do that, then every one will think I am an clochard." 🙄

This was the guy from whom I learned my skills as a raconteur. He would go out at night and make around a FF1,000 [£100]. In the morning he would give all of it to his 'put', (pimp) for a cheap bottle of wine that cost around £0.60 His pimp also also got his monthly disability allowance, I cant remember exactly how much it was, but roughly $700 or £800.

We took him out to an old abandoned farm one time, and encourage him to take a bath in a horse trough. Even from 15 metres away, the stink was appalling, he had been pooping in his pants in order not leave his wine unattended.

During the his last three months, his physical condition would have made the Marquis de Sade weep. His skin was like paper and bruised at a glance. He had ulcers all over his body until his kidneys and liver finally collapsed. To cap it all off, he was still drinking right to the end.

I could tell you dozens of stories like this, and none of them are pretty.

Stopping drinking is not easy, but the alternative is much worse. Getting a hobby can help, music painting, 3D graphics, animation, travelling, what ever turns you on. Group therapy is not for everyone, but if you think it might help, it will definitely get you out of the house. That last part being particularly important. Breaking the routine where you automatically reach for the booze is the key to successfully coming of the booze. So, a young, energetic big dog that needs lots of exercise might help. Note: Only get a dog if you are serious about taking care of it and giving it the care, attention and exercise it really needs.

So your talking 2 ish beers every evening and say half a bottle of whisky at the weekend…. There’s a million people like you mate out there so don’t beat yourself up to much about it.

Why not to begin with try to cut down to one beer every evening then reduce again to a beer every other evening?

I like a gin and diet tonic from time to time which doesn’t effect blood levals… not to sure about the whisky tho

@Pat91 , well done for making the decision to make your life better.

My post isn't about telling you off, or making you feel uncomfortable. Heaven knows we've all make suspect life decisions in our past, so I try to take those uncomfortable experiences as lessons not to be repeated.

I feel certain the old adage of "One day at a time" is very valid for you. I wish you every possible success, but please, if you feel you are wavering, and you don't want to be, do reach out. We all need support and kindness in our lives from time to time.

All spirits are low carb so should not increase BG levels but can cause low levels later as the liver prioritizes removing the toxin (alcohol) from our blood over trickling out glucose to keep our vital organs functioning.

If you are an "all or nothing" person, then cutting it out completely is probably the best way, but if you honestly feel you can moderate it, then do as @Jimmy2202 suggests and reduce your intake, if you feel that the benefits/enjoyment of alcohol outweigh the drawbacks/health implications.

@Pat91 In the interests of supporting you, I would like to announce that I haven't had a drink for 2 days. Hope that doesn't sound pompous and if it does, it isn't meant to be! 🙄
How are you doing? As @AndBreath says, just take it one day at a time.

@Jimmy2202

So your talking 2 ish beers every evening and say half a bottle of whisky at the weekend….
.... I like a gin and diet tonic from time to time which doesn’t effect blood levals….

In moderation, an occasional glass of red wine or a small beer is widely acknowledged to be part of a healthy diet. But, what @Pat91 is describing is far from healthy and runs the serious risk of alcohol dependency.

As a point of info, NHS guidelines are:
To keep health risks from alcohol to a low level if you drink most weeks:
  • men and women are advised not to drink more than 14 units a week on a regular basis
  • spread your drinking over 3 or more days if you regularly drink as much as 14 units a week
  • if you want to cut down, try to have several drink-free days each week
14 units is equivalent to 6 pints of average-strength beer or 10 small glasses of lower-strength wine.
You should also note, that these are upper limits and most definitely not a recommended weekly intake

While, as I say, as a general rule I do not drink, nor take drugs. You should not misinterpret this: I occasionally enjoy a nice bottle of wine, I will even partake of a wee joint if one is on offer. While I do not usually have more than one glass, on a special occasions I have been known to have had some serious soirees. But, as always, moderation is the key. and for those who lack the discipline for moderation, (like me with chocolate digestive,) it is probably best to avoid temptation completely.

Even though the alcohol may not push your glucose level high it might seriously affect your decision not the have the food which would.
The traditional fish and chips, curry or kebab and chips after a night in the pub, a long past memory.

Thank you all for the nice comments, I think my problem is I have been a heavy drinker since I left school (15 years ago) was drinking 8 pints a night every night for years. I think what has made me try to quit the booze is I'm noticing a trend after hitting the booze heavy at the weekends I'm having insulin resistance for 2-3 days after my last drink.yeah Im not really one for having just the one or two drinks. Im defiantly all or nothing and that's the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back