Time restricted eating experiences

rucki

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi has anyone here done time restricted eating and what was the result ? I’m type 2, currently on 3 x daily Metformin . Tried calorie counting but not working for me this time round. I just read article and it sounds promising :
Any tips etc much appreciated!

I was diagnosed in July (diet control only at present) and started Intermittent Fasting 16:8 almost immediately. I downloaded the Freshwell App and the module about blood sugar stability and rises made so much sense to me. Long, long before my diagnosis, I found I struggled more with hunger, portion control and food choice on the days I ate breakfast. So, I stopped. I eat 2 meals per day mostly, lunch after 12 and evening meal, ideally before 8PM. I don't count calories but do try to ensure my meals are nutritionally dense and filling but not excessive (and I definitely consume less calories this way). I was a terrible grazer before this and - although I do still have occasional 'hungry' day - for the most part I feel well eating this way and I don't crave snacks anymore. Breakfast can be hard to manage without carbs - I don't have that stress! I've had a continuous monitor on trial and have been finger pricking. Eating this way shows a very stable line on my monitor so it makes intuitive sense to me that the IF is, in combination with low carb, working to stabilise my glucose control.

I would say don't be afraid to try it (with the proviso that I'm not sure about time restriction and metformin. You might need to check that it will fit with your meds regime as I know that I don't hypo eating like this but, as I presume your metformin could mean it's more complex for you).

If you do decide to try it - hydration is really important. Drinking enough water during your non- eating phase is really important. I'm awful at drinking enough, I always have been but, during the fasting hours when I'mawake, I really, really notice when I'm too dry and I'm trying to be better.

Metformin should not cause a problem with hypos but you generally need to take them with food to reduce the risk of digestive upset, so if you decide to drop breakfast then take them with lunch and evening meal, or alternatively, you could have breakfast and take them then and skip lunch instead. Whatever seems to suit your body best.

I was eating at 12 hourly intervals and was settled in remission, but decided to experiment as I was gradually losing interest in eating first thing.
As the shakes diet is 'the latest thing' - and I was slightly involved in its development back in the 1970s, I decided to try that, but found that the shakes are quite high carb.
I have settled on what might be considered a severe restriction - but as all diets failed to do much except make me grey and fainting I have settled on a shake at 5pm and then a small meal with about 22 hours of fasting. I was having a coffee with cream during the day and tea in the evenings but not had that for a few days.
Morning and evening I have a drink of water.
My next blood test is on the 21st of this month so it will be interesting to see if the change in eating has resulted in any significant changes in levels.

@BobbleHat
What do you eat for breakfast? I sort of intermittently fast too, after 10 or 11, for breakfast. And before 6pm maybe 8 for my second meal.
I am, still struggling, learning. I couldn’t eat eggs everyday.

Today I had a tin of Mackerel, in olive oil, mushed up with two cheese triangles, spread on Ryvita, though of course Ryvita is a carb…

I don't eat breakfast most days. The 16:8 fasting that I do means that I don't start eating food until around 12 noon and aim to be finished my last meal well before 8pm. I'm not hugely strict with 16 hours fasting/8 hours to eat, I just aim for that sort of window.

I will have a 'normal' lunch type food - I take salads to work with lots of seeds and protein and a nice dressing, or keto 'pizza'. If I'm home, I love makerel too (but I also love eggs too!!). As the weather gets colder, I'll starting taking more soups instead of salads. My main meal in the evening is generally whatever the family are having without the carb portion (either omitted or substituted).

On the days when I do wake hungry and choose breakfast (usually days off), I don't really worry about whether a food is a 'breakfast' food or not. The most 'breakfasty' option I go for is usually a bowl of berries with full fat Greek Youghurt (generally with a sprinkle of chia seeds as they are a good source of fibre). Lovely!!

@BobbleHat
What do you eat for breakfast? I sort of intermittently fast too, after 10 or 11, for breakfast. And before 6pm maybe 8 for my second meal.
I am, still struggling, learning. I couldn’t eat eggs everyday.

Today I had a tin of Mackerel, in olive oil, mushed up with two cheese triangles, spread on Ryvita, though of course Ryvita is a carb…
Don't forget low carb is not NO carb.
Some people find fasting works but there again many people naturally fast as the gap between dinner and breakfast is 10-12 hours.

@BobbleHat sorry! I should’ve said Brunch! That’s what I usually call it. Brunch or Lunch. I should’ve just said first meal. Lol.

Don't forget low carb is not NO carb.
Some people find fasting works but there again many people naturally fast as the gap between dinner and breakfast is 10-12 hours.
It’s just the Ryvita’s are 6g of Carbs each, and I had a few. Lol. I don’t know anything about Diabetes still or what to do. I’ve not even seen a dietician or anything.

I’m also possibly neurodivergent and a fussy eater. So I eat a restricted diet anyway, I’m not an eat anything person (and be happy). I’ve always liked the wrong foods, chips, cakes, chocolate, fried and fatty foods, I don’t really eat fruit, and I eat veg, but not a huge fan of it……

At the same time, I would struggle to do Keto, or Carnivore, especially the latter as I couldn’t just eat meat alone. I don’t think. I wouldn’t even think it was good for the heart.

It’s just the Ryvita’s are 6g of Carbs each, and I had a few. Lol. I don’t know anything about Diabetes still or what to do. I’ve not even seen a dietician or anything.

I’m also possibly neurodivergent and a fussy eater. So I eat a restricted diet anyway, I’m not an eat anything person (and be happy). I’ve always liked the wrong foods, chips, cakes, chocolate, fried and fatty foods, I don’t really eat fruit, and I eat veg, but not a huge fan of it……

At the same time, I would struggle to do Keto, or Carnivore, especially the latter as I couldn’t just eat meat alone. I don’t think. I wouldn’t even think it was good for the heart.
I follow low carb which in actual fact is no more than 130g per day so if you are spreading that between meals and drinks than you are looking at maybe 30-35g carbs per meal so even 3 Ryvita would only be half of that.

I follow low carb which in actual fact is no more than 130g per day so if you are spreading that between meals and drinks than you are looking at maybe 30-35g carbs per meal so even 3 Ryvita would only be half of that.
Lol, I had 6. A small tin of mackerel and two cheese triangles, is enough to cover 6 Ryvita’s, it’s my homemade Mackerel Pate! Lol, it’s really nice. (Should add a bit of lemon juice really). So that’s what I try to have for Brunch (First meal), I figured it would be a healthy option, better than bread, but I don’t know. I have a big appetite, which is part of the reason why I have Diabetes……

I only drink water! Now. (Used to only drink orange juice, since I was a kid, sugared version and then a no sugar version). But gave that up last year. Last summer. I only drink water now.
Unless there’s no other option and I’ll still have a pure orange juice, or a strawberry milkshake, but I mostly don’t drink either of those.

Like I guess a lot of people eat bacon or eggs for breakfast/brunch/first meal. But I don’t really eat a cooked breakfast at home, unless I’m staying at a hotel, lol, or I’m out and fancy a random egg and bacon butty, of course that’s on a bread roll.

I’ve been told to follow a Mediterranean diet by my Dr. But I don’t live in a Mediterranean climate, lol. And although I love mackerel (not so keen on sardines), it just doesn’t appeal to me. (I need to take a trip to Sardinia, ha, and see how they eat in that blue zone).

I fell off the wagon past few months, been eating a lot of chocolatey things and carbs. Meh. So. It’s not helped.

I shall take that 130g carb thing on board. Is there anywhere online that discusses that more?

Lol, I had 6. A small tin of mackerel and two cheese triangles, is enough to cover 6 Ryvita’s, it’s my homemade Mackerel Pate! Lol, it’s really nice. (Should add a bit of lemon juice really). So that’s what I try to have for Brunch (First meal), I figured it would be a healthy option, better than bread, but I don’t know. I have a big appetite, which is part of the reason why I have Diabetes……

I only drink water! Now. (Used to only drink orange juice, since I was a kid, sugared version and then a no sugar version). But gave that up last year. Last summer. I only drink water now.
Unless there’s no other option and I’ll still have a pure orange juice, or a strawberry milkshake, but I mostly don’t drink either of those.

Like I guess a lot of people eat bacon or eggs for breakfast/brunch/first meal. But I don’t really eat a cooked breakfast at home, unless I’m staying at a hotel, lol, or I’m out and fancy a random egg and bacon butty, of course that’s on a bread roll.

I’ve been told to follow a Mediterranean diet by my Dr. But I don’t live in a Mediterranean climate, lol. And although I love mackerel (not so keen on sardines), it just doesn’t appeal to me. (I need to take a trip to Sardinia, ha, and see how they eat in that blue zone).

I fell off the wagon past few months, been eating a lot of chocolatey things and carbs. Meh. So. It’s not helped.
I also make mackerel or tuna pate, I do add lemon juice and mayo.
You could have hard boiled eggs, coleslaw, cucumber. High meat content sausages are low carb. I have some M&S cheddar cheese and mixed seed crispbread which are 4.7g carbs per cracker, which are much nicer than Ryvita. Peanut butter is also good on crispbread.
As far as drinks any diet drinks are fine, flavoured fizzy water, tea, herbal tea if you like them, so no need to stick to just water unless you particularly want to.

@BobbleHat sorry! I should’ve said Brunch! That’s what I usually call it. Brunch or Lunch. I should’ve just said first meal. Lol.
Ah, got you. Mind you, I think with my lack of ability to write short posts, you got my answer anyway!
I also second the Freshwell App. It's got a learning platform that gives good information in bite sized chunks. It has meal plans and recipes arranged by meal types. I found it so useful when I was diagnosed.

Hi has anyone here done time restricted eating and what was the result ? I’m type 2, currently on 3 x daily Metformin . Tried calorie counting but not working for me this time round. I just read article and it sounds promising :
Any tips etc much appreciated!
I don't take any diabetes medication, so can't make comment on that. But I'd say that if you choose timed eating then it would be advisable to choose an eating window that fits you personally, and fits your lifestyle.

Like @BobbleHat I'm doing an approximate 16:8 fasting method of timed eating.
I naturally lean towards 2 meals a day and I never feel like eating for at least a few hours after getting up in the morning so it suits me well. Tho I'm not overly strict about - I use it more as a guideline than an unbreakable rule. If I'm hungry I'll eat.

Back