Time it takes to get bs down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen999

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi can any one give me advice, I've been doing ok with my readings and bs levels mainly 7.5 after eating but it takes me nearly 3 hrs to get there . I recently got a bit cocky and thought I could eat prunes after dinner and start drinking fruit juice. Yesterday my post breakfast reading was 12. Have a messed up my good work is it down hill from here? This morning I was 9 even after 3hrs
I'm a bit scared

Mostly I eat low carb but I've just started eating about 7 prunes at a time and watermelon.
I've never tested before eating only after.
I've always averaged 7.5 after eating but this week seems to be nearer to 8 and the one day when it was 12.
Does portion size make a big difference even if very low carb?

Well, for a start all fruit juice is considered to be high carb and prunes are also high carb - mainly because they are partly dehydrated so the sugars are more concentrated.
Portion size does matter with even quite low carb foods. But what my body finds to be 'low carb' and what yours does may be 2 different things. It isn't about what the tin or packet of Dr Google says that matters as much as how our individual gut and microbiome digest and react to particular foods. We are all individual which is why it is so important to keep a food diary together with information about how much that particular meal spiked your Blood Glucose (if at all).

When a food is very low carb such as cauliflower , broccoli, cucumber, cheese, eggs etc. then for all practical purposes potion size doesn't affect our BG levels though the number of calories may be too much for us with high calorie foods like cheese etc.

Mostly I eat low carb but I've just started eating about 7 prunes at a time and watermelon.
I've never tested before eating only after.
I've always averaged 7.5 after eating but this week seems to be nearer to 8 and the one day when it was 12.
Does portion size make a big difference even if very low carb?
7 prunes could well have been 35g carb so no wonder your blood glucose level was high, 100g watermelon would be about 7g carb so not nearly as bad. If you want fruit try berries as they are the lowest carb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back