Time in Range Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations! You are obviously doing things right.

I think it is important to celebrate successes and remember them so that when you do have days when there are highs and lows outside of range you can tell yourself that you can do it and things will be fine.

Well done!

That's brilliant you should be pleased if I was half that I would be pleased, well done

Bet this make even more pleased but for the first time ever this lunch time I was really brave an took my insulin 10 mins before always too scared to

Reactions: Tdm
Bet this make even more pleased but for the first time ever this lunch time I was really brave an took my insulin 10 mins before always too scared to
There is no need to be scared, particularly when you have Libre so you can wait and watch for your insulin kicking in. I need 45 mins between injecting and breakfast to prevent spikes like that. That might be too much for some people but you clearly need much longer than 10 mins at breakfast time when your levels spike that high. I inject before i get out of bed, then get up and get washed and dressed, make my breakfast, drink my coffee and keep scanning watching for my levels coming down into the 5s and then I eat.
I have a rule that I never eat when my levels are above 8 otherwise they will never come down, so I inject and watch and wait. If levels are above 10 it can take more than an hour, sometimes 2 before they come down. I am not skinny so there are enough pickings on me to wait and be sure I won't fade away. 🙄

Hi Barbara wow that's brave, so what are you saying, inject and wait until it starts to fall then eat, it takes 40 mins for food to hit my system, obviously depends on what it is, beer takes 3 seconds

Hi Barbara wow that's brave, so what are you saying, inject and wait until it starts to fall then eat, it takes 40 mins for food to hit my system, obviously depends on what it is, beer takes 3 seconds
I am saying.... carefully experiment by slowly increasing the prebolus time by a few mins each day, until you find the right timing for you, for that particular time of day. I need 45 mins at breakfast time if I am in range between 5 and 7. If I am in the 4s I will usually need a bit less. If I am above 7, I will need longer. At other times of the day it is usually about 20 mins, so significantly less than at breakfast. If it is something which is high fat then I need less because it slows my digestion down and I might need to split the dose and have some just before I eat and some an hour or two later. Fish and chips or pizza or pasta with a creamy sauce can be tricky like that, although I very rarely eat those.
I should say that I have a very fast digestive system and even porridge will start hitting my blood stream in 20 mins. Is your 40 mins the peak of your carb release, or when it starts to release? It is important to understand that the NovoRapid doesn't release all it's insulin immadiately but gradually over about 5 hours although the majority is usually released by 3 hours after injecting, so it is not like it is a sudden rush of insulin. I should also say that I use Fiasp which is a bit quicker than NovoRapid. When I used NR, I had to wait 75 mins before eating breakfast which was tedious and often I would leave the house and get distracted doing stuff and then forget that I hadn't eaten breakfast and end up hypo. I have figured out a 45min morning routine with Fiasp which works great for me now.

I should apologise about my comment on your graph.... I had assumed that it was a 24 hour graph starting from midnight and that spike was your breakfast spike and I can't magnify the scale to see it clearly but if I squint I can see that those are actually afternoon peaks, so my comment about breakfast may not be relevant.

I am saying.... carefully experiment by slowly increasing the prebolus time by a few mins each day, until you find the right timing for you, for that particular time of day. I need 45 mins at breakfast time if I am in range between 5 and 7. If I am in the 4s I will usually need a bit less. If I am above 7, I will need longer. At other times of the day it is usually about 20 mins, so significantly less than at breakfast. If it is something which is high fat then I need less because it slows my digestion down and I might need to split the dose and have some just before I eat and some an hour or two later. Fish and chips or pizza or pasta with a creamy sauce can be tricky like that, although I very rarely eat those.
I should say that I have a very fast digestive system and even porridge will start hitting my blood stream in 20 mins. Is your 40 mins the peak of your carb release, or when it starts to release? It is important to understand that the NovoRapid doesn't release all it's insulin immadiately but gradually over about 5 hours although the majority is usually released by 3 hours after injecting, so it is not like it is a sudden rush of insulin. I should also say that I use Fiasp which is a bit quicker than NovoRapid. When I used NR, I had to wait 75 mins before eating breakfast which was tedious and often I would leave the house and get distracted doing stuff and then forget that I hadn't eaten breakfast and end up hypo. I have figured out a 45min morning routine with Fiasp which works great for me now.

I should apologise about my comment on your graph.... I had assumed that it was a 24 hour graph starting from midnight and that spike was your breakfast spike and I can't magnify the scale to see it clearly but if I squint I can see that those are actually afternoon peaks, so my comment about breakfast may not be relevant.
Hi Barbara I am consistently 10 when I wake up as my body dumps sugar when I get up, I don't worry so much about breakfast as I never have any , never have, my main problem is lunch and evening meal, this lunchtime for the first time I took 12 units for 60 carbs 10 mins before my hand was shaking :rofl: this is helping a lot I always thought the insulin would get to me before my meal like in mins, my four slices of bread kicked in at exactly 40 mins I started to rise, I am going to try 15 mins before my evening meal tonight so hopefully I will be back tomorrow :rofl:

Hi Barbara I am consistently 10 when I wake up as my body dumps sugar when I get up, I don't worry so much about breakfast as I never have any , never have, my main problem is lunch and evening meal, this lunchtime for the first time I took 12 units for 60 carbs 10 mins before my hand was shaking :rofl: this is helping a lot I always thought the insulin would get to me before my meal like in mins, my four slices of bread kicked in at exactly 40 mins I started to rise, I am going to try 15 mins before my evening meal tonight so hopefully I will be back tomorrow :rofl:

Good to hear you are gaining a little bit of confidence in experimenting with carefully increasing the prebolus time. If the worst happens and you drop a bit low, a jelly baby will soon stop the drop and then you can eat your meal, so there is no need to be nervous because you have control and JBs as a safety net and a means of watching what happens with your Libre. I used to spike up to 15 every morning and then come crashing back down to 5 and it made me feel rough. Now, I eat the same food and inject the same insulin but by prebolusing much longer, I rarely go above 8 which means that my Libre graph looks more like rolling hills most of the time rather than towering spires and I feel a lot better for it too, both physically and mentally. Just go steady with increasing it and make sure that you don't get distracted.
Most people need the least prebolus time in the evening, so I would perhaps just leave your evening meal as it is for now and just work on getting your lunchtime timing right and then when you are confident of that, then start to experiment with your evening meal. That is what I did, but started with breakfast as that was my spikiest meal.

Good to hear you are gaining a little bit of confidence in experimenting with carefully increasing the prebolus time. If the worst happens and you drop a bit low, a jelly baby will soon stop the drop and then you can eat your meal, so there is no need to be nervous because you have control and JBs as a safety net and a means of watching what happens with your Libre. I used to spike up to 15 every morning and then come crashing back down to 5 and it made me feel rough. Now, I eat the same food and inject the same insulin but by prebolusing much longer, I rarely go above 8 which means that my Libre graph looks more like rolling hills most of the time rather than towering spires and I feel a lot better for it too, both physically and mentally. Just go steady with increasing it and make sure that you don't get distracted.
Most people need the least prebolus time in the evening, so I would perhaps just leave your evening meal as it is for now and just work on getting your lunchtime timing right and then when you are confident of that, then start to experiment with your evening meal. That is what I did, but started with breakfast as that was my spikiest meal.
Thank you very much you have been very helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back