Thyroxine and insulin doses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat thompson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Been type 1 for many years but have recently been told to take thyroxine for under active thyroid. It’s really been messing about with my sugar levels so far. Anyone else in the same situation?

Basically what is happening is your body is going back to it's normal mode now you are taking the thyroxine, You will find once you are on the correct dose and you have sorted your basal to match you will be fine. You have to remember you are not a machine so things change in the body which means adjusting your insulin as you go along. Unfortunately that's part of diabetes life as you know and very frustrating with it.

Welcome to the forum as well 🙂

@Pumper_Sue has explained it, your body will go back to having a normal thyroid function and insulin will have to be adjusted. I have been on Thyroxine almost as long as I have had T1. I still have to adjust basal minimum twice a year when the weather changes though.

Thanks. That’s what I thought. It’s so annoying that there is a time lag before the insulin dose functions.

Sorry to hear the thyroxine has thrown your BG levels out of whack @Pat thompson

Hope it’s not long before you have your doses / correction factors / ratios adjusted to suit you better.

Been type 1 for many years but have recently been told to take thyroxine for under active thyroid. It’s really been messing about with my sugar levels so far. Anyone else in the same situation?
Hi Pat, I’ve a query as I’m under investigation for an under active thyroid. Did you find that your blood sugars where going down? For instance you’d use your usual ratio at meal times but found you where coming down to fast? It’s suggesting to me that my lunch and dinner have changed but my breakfast is ok. I’ve tried dropping my basal but it’s not worked because it makes me too high in the morning on my breakfast ratio. So if I change it back breakfast is ok but after lunch and dinner I’m eating glucose.

Quite the opposite! Thyroxine interferes with insulin absorption so even though I take my breakfast dose at the same time as the tablet, I’m still really high for hours after eating and going on a 40 minute walk ! Then if I take an extra dose of insulin I’m more likely to go low before the next meal. To be honest I’m at a loss what to do or if things will eventually settle down - I’ve been on the thyroxine for a month now.

@Pumper_Sue has explained it, your body will go back to having a normal thyroid function and insulin will have to be adjusted. I have been on Thyroxine almost as long as I have had T1. I still have to adjust basal minimum twice a year when the weather changes though.
Do you mean permanently adjusted?

Quite the opposite! Thyroxine interferes with insulin absorption so even though I take my breakfast dose at the same time as the tablet, I’m still really high for hours after eating and going on a 40 minute walk ! Then if I take an extra dose of insulin I’m more likely to go low before the next meal. To be honest I’m at a loss what to do or if things will eventually settle down - I’ve been on the thyroxine for a month now.
Considering as it takes 6 weeks for the thyroxin to build up your levels once started, it can be safely assumed the meds are not the cause of your problems.
Perhaps do a basic basal test, as in skip breakfast and see where your levels end up. If all fine, then change your carb ratio.

Attachments

• 1F2D6B2E-169A-4680-BDB5-086B0921EE75.jpeg
    1F2D6B2E-169A-4680-BDB5-086B0921EE75.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 11
From the info sheet of my tablet box
Well, if that's the case then check your basal first and if that's the problem increase it. If it's fine, then adjust your bolus. Problem solved 🙂

Hello there - Have you been told how to take your thyroxine?

My Endo has explained that I should take my thyroxine at least an hour before eating or drinking - most importantly before any dairy. Fortunately, I routinely rouse very early, so take my thyroxine whilst half a asleep. This ensures I maximise on the dose of medication I am taking.

On that basis, some people find it simpler to take their thyroxine at night.

On a more general note, you may find it takes some time to reach your optimum dose. You should be having your bloods retested every 6-8 weeks and doses adjusted accordingly to get to that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back