THYROID

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosalindb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
I had blood taken on 8 September checking HBa1c, thyroid function and kidneys etc. Everything was fine apart from thyroid, it went from 7.? to 22.? in space of 5 months. I am not surprised about a rise but surprised at such a large increase. So it is Levothyroxin at 100mg to start me off and to be rechecked in 3 months to find out if it needs to be increased to 125mg. I feel a bit teary today. I had to take Pumpkin to vet to check his diabetes and he doing fine, I asked about thyroid function for him and vet checking him out for it. I am ashamed to say I was in tears at the vet with him. Laura the vet said what applies to Pumpkin applies to me, we will both be fine if we are careful, I found out she was Type 3c, diagnosed after operation last November. I said "do you know about Diabetes.co.uk?" She will be looking into subscribing.

Sorry to hear that @rosalindb I think it’s perfectly natural to be teary. Be kind to yourself for the next few days until you get your head round it. Hopefully your thyroid will be easily sorted.

By the way, this site is Diabetes U.K. with an ‘org.uk’ in its address because it’s a charity. The address you gave in your post is that of a commercial website that has nothing to do with this site or the charity Diabetes U.K. It just coincidently has a very similar name.

I had blood taken on 8 September checking HBa1c, thyroid function and kidneys etc. Everything was fine apart from thyroid, it went from 7.? to 22.? in space of 5 months. I am not surprised about a rise but surprised at such a large increase. So it is Levothyroxin at 100mg to start me off and to be rechecked in 3 months to find out if it needs to be increased to 125mg. I feel a bit teary today. I had to take Pumpkin to vet to check his diabetes and he doing fine, I asked about thyroid function for him and vet checking him out for it. I am ashamed to say I was in tears at the vet with him. Laura the vet said what applies to Pumpkin applies to me, we will both be fine if we are careful, I found out she was Type 3c, diagnosed after operation last November. I said "do you know about Diabetes.co.uk?" She will be looking into subscribing.

Rosalind, please try not to be too downcast about your thyroid going off kilter. It's incredibly common, but obviously not something you want.

To be honest, it was already not working at all well at 7. A well functioning thyroid tends to have a TSH level of under 2.
Have you been experiencing any symptoms, like feeling the cold, thinning hair or weight gain/trouble losing weight?

However, to the important part; is the 100mcgr your starting dose? If so, that is really rather a hefty starter.

The usual starter is 50mcgr, with a blood test at 6-8 weeks to review, then decide on next steps (like a further increase, or stay at the same dose). For older folks or those who are very slight, the starting dose can be 25mcgr.

If you are starting Levothyroxine at 100mcgr, please seek medical advice if you experience palpitations, increased anxiety or headaches.

I don't add these latter parts to scare you. On the upside it can take a few days to build up a dose in your system and about 6 weeks before you have the full impact.

If you have any urgent concerns, seek help.

Sorry to hear that @rosalindb I think it’s perfectly natural to be teary. Be kind to yourself for the next few days until you get your head round it. Hopefully your thyroid will be easily sorted.

By the way, this site is Diabetes U.K. with an ‘org.uk’ in its address because it’s a charity. The address you gave in your post is that of a commercial website that has nothing to do with this site or the charity Diabetes U.K. It just coincidently has a very similar name.

Coincidence?

Rosalind, please try not to be too downcast about your thyroid going off kilter. It's incredibly common, but obviously not something you want.

To be honest, it was already not working at all well at 7. A well functioning thyroid tends to have a TSH level of under 2.
Have you been experiencing any symptoms, like feeling the cold, thinning hair or weight gain/trouble losing weight?

However, to the important part; is the 100mcgr your starting dose? If so, that is really rather a hefty starter.

The usual starter is 50mcgr, with a blood test at 6-8 weeks to review, then decide on next steps (like a further increase, or stay at the same dose). For older folks or those who are very slight, the starting dose can be 25mcgr.

If you are starting Levothyroxine at 100mcgr, please seek medical advice if you experience palpitations, increased anxiety or headaches.

I don't add these latter parts to scare you. On the upside it can take a few days to build up a dose in your system and about 6 weeks before you have the full impact.

If you have any urgent concerns, seek help.
It had been playing up for a while and I was being over hopeful

I think my level was about the same when i was diagnosed.I was started on 50mg and my levels went down to around 4 within 3 months. I still wasnt feeling 100% right so was increased to 75mg and it lowered to under 1 and i felt better. Recently i have been bit tired and dry skin same as before diagnosis and noticed my levels have doubled over the last year so i may have to raise meds to 100mg when i have a word with the nurse to see if that helps.
The good thing is yours has been picked up and can be easily remedied and you will feel much better.
Like @AndBreathe mentioned 100mg seems high start dose but then i am not a Doctor and i suppose they will keep close eye and regular checks and lower if need be.

Last edited:
My thyroid stimulating hormone level was found to be four thousand times higher than normal when finally diagnosed. My GP had done a couple of tests and then no more for a couple of years, even though I had all the symptoms, and I was given a starting dose of 25 microgram. Even then I had palpitations. As you have a higher starting dose it could mean that you are not so lacking in the hormone.

The only time I had palpatations and pulse 149 was when I was under dosed for my thyroid.

It was quite some time ago now, but I remember my hands and feet felt as though they were in warm water for about a week, Over a number of months my dose was increased by 25 micrograms each time, and eventually I had another blood test and the dose was increased until it had crept up to 200 micrograms where it remained for years.
Over the last year the dose has been decreased to 125 micrograms. I think my thyroid likes the low carb regime.

I find it really comforting when you meet someone in the real world who are facing similar problems because diabetes can sometimes be so isolating. I remember 6 months after diagnosis sitting in my dentist chair and she asked me if I had any change in my medial history, I said yes diagnosed type 1 at my age ! She said snap and showed me her dexcom. It was a lovely moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back