• Please Remember: Members are only permitted to share their own experiences. Members are not qualified to give medical advice. Additionally, everyone manages their health differently. Please be respectful of other people's opinions about their own diabetes management.

Thyroid problems

Ikey the tinker

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Has anyone else had problems with their thyroid since being diagnosed? I was diagnosed Diabetic last October and the various blood test also showed up and underactive thyroid, which is being treated with thyroxin, apparently it's quite common for diabetics to suffer from this?

Am on a load of medication but feel much much better than I did pre-diagnosis!

Same story but in reverse
Thought the levothyroxin was causing rapid weight loss. It was raised blood glucose.

I'm on thyroxin - but then so is my Mom and she isn't diabetic. I think it is quite common amongst diabetics as the thyroid is part of your endocrine system - mind you if I don't take it for months I don't feel any different - I Just take it because I am told too - not because I had any symptoms! Very lucky really!

Hi. I'd had Type 1 for 23 years before my thyroid packed up. I have to be careful to manage my energy levels - I get very tired quite easily although the doc says my dose is fine. It's a shame you can't adjust your dose like insulin.

before i got diagnosed with diabetes i went to the doctor wif a swollen neck and they said it is to do with tyroid and that i probably would get it within 5 yrs and then the next day i got diagnosed wif diabetes and its nearly 4 yrs on, so i have about a yr left unless its a miracle and i dont get tyroid.

i heard that if u have tyroid, its hard to control ur diabetes?
is this true?

My blood sugar control is ok and my thyroid is underactive - don't know if an overactive thyroid would cause problems, that seems more likely?

Back