Three years "normal"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy Edson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Had my annual review today and just realised it's three years since my first "normal" HbA1c, six months after DX.

All due to weight loss, which I've manage to maintain - 85kg at DX, 75kg three years ago, down to 64kg a year after that, now 66kg.

I'm not carb restricted, particularly - generally ~150g per day, sometimes 200g+ (less in the early months when I was bringing BG under control). Carbs are not evil.

My HbA1c has been a constant boring median "normal" 5.3% since Jan 2020, having briefly cratered to 4.6% before that.

YMMV, but to me that looks like "cured" 🙂

Maintaining weight loss required constant vigilance and exercise, but I'm lucky in that these actually do work to keep me from over-eating; it can be much harder for some people, I think. Other little common things help me too:

- Don't keep crap in the house.
- Treats are for kids - wean yrself off thinking you need them!
- If you need a snack, munch a carrot.
- Fibre fills.
- Always be a little bit hungry; never eat to repletion. Apart from anything else, it makes food taste great!
- Weigh youself often.
- Keep track of how many calories you're eating, counting everything, and get a good sense of how many you're burning.
- And keep track of micronutrients too - they're the most important thing about food, really.
- Ignore woo about carbs being more fattening than other macronutrients.
- Exercise won't help much for losing weight but it's pretty vital for maintaining. Yr bod will want to keep eating as many calories as it needed to fuel a bigger you, and it's hard to resist. So burn off some excess with say 90 min+ moderate exercise a day.

That's just me, of course.

Last edited:
What a fantastic milestone! So glad that you've been able to maintain healthy levels for so long.

What's super helpful to see is that you didn't do any crazy diets or have to eliminate food groups but just incorporated them sensibly into your diet. Thanks for sharing!

Great news @Eddy Edson, and such sensible advice re exercise and eating. Happy 3rd low hba1c anniversary x

Had my annual review today and just realised it's three years since my first "normal" HbA1c, six months after DX.

All due to weight loss, which I've manage to maintain - 85kg at DX, 75kg three years ago, down to 64kg a year after that, now 66kg.

I'm not carb restricted, particularly - generally ~150g per day, sometimes 200g+ (less in the early months when I was bringing BG under control). Carbs are not evil.

My HbA1c has been a constant boring median "normal" 5.3% since Jan 2020, having briefly cratered to 4.6% before that.

Maintaining weight loss required constant vigilance and exercise, but I'm lucky in that these actually do work to keep me from over-eating; it can be much harder for some people, I think. Other little common things help me too:

- Fibre fills.
- Always be a little bit hungry; never eat to repletion. Apart from anything else, it makes food taste great!
- Weigh youself often.
- Keep track of how many calories you're eating, counting everything, and get a good sense of how many you're burning.
- And keep track of micronutrients too - they're the most important thing about food, really.
- Exercise won't help much for losing weight but it's pretty vital for maintaining. Yr bod will want to keep eating as many calories as it needed to fuel a bigger you, and it's hard to resist. So burn off some excess with say 90 min+ moderate exercise a day.

Heh, heh , doesn't look 'cured' to me if you are having to work so hard every day to keep control of your diabetes. It looks like a full time job ;-) You would probably better off on an insulin pump.

- Fibre fills.
- Weigh youself often.

My DSN and I appear to have a minor difference of opinion wrt to my HBA1C. She says i am now considered to be an in remission non diabetic.Although my original diagnosis is very suspect, i simply don't have the energy to go through the story with this DSN again. So I argue (and believe) that I will always be diabetic albeit a well managed diabetic. Hey ho...

Last edited:
My DSN and I appear to have a minor difference of opinion wrt to my HBA1C. She says i am now considered to be an in remission non diabetic.Although my original diagnosis is very suspect, i simply don't have the energy to go through the story with this DSN again. So I argue (and believe) that I will always be diabetic albeit a well managed diabetic. Hey ho...

If you're a Type 2 you are surely unlikely to be seeing a DSN, they're a rare, expensive type. T2s are usually fobbed off with the dogsbody at the surgery. Perhaps she has had that Logic Bypass Operation because 'remission' and 'non-diabetic' are mutually exclusive terms.

If you're a Type 2 you are surely unlikely to be seeing a DSN, they're a rare, expensive type. T2s are usually fobbed off with the dogsbody at the surgery. Perhaps she has had that Logic Bypass Operation because 'remission' and 'non-diabetic' are mutually exclusive terms.
Nope this one was a DSN. The others are not sure the correct term, but Practice Nurses will have to do., but yes they do appear to be at the bottom of the food chain

Heh, heh , doesn't look 'cured' to me if you are having to work so hard every day to keep control of your diabetes. It looks like a full time job ;-) You would probably better off on an insulin pump.
Nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back