Three tests, three fingers, three minutes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
...and three wildly differing results! I was about to eat my evening meal so did a glucose test. I was expecting about a 4 as I was feeling a bit low - reading was 7.9. I decided that must be a fluke so tested again - 6.5! Just to see which way the thing was heading I tested again - 5.4!! Grrr!!! I hate wasting test strips, but I had to see what was happening.

My hands were clean. I know there is a margin of error, but the differences here were 2.5 - 30%. I tested the meter with the calibration fluid and it said it was OK. This really shook my confidence in any of my testing, a bit irrational I know, as my readings have generally been consistent with what I expect and how I feel.

Anyone else have this experience?

Thought I'd give it a try. Ist test 4.5, 2nd test straight after the first- 5.3. Probably if I'd tested again it would have been different also. Now which one should I take as correct? 4.5 will be too low to go to bed without having Carbs, 5.3 a little better. It would be great if the tests were consistent. I'll test before I do go to bed, and then decide whether a biscuit is necessary.:confused:

Thought I'd give it a try. Ist test 4.5, 2nd test straight after the first- 5.3. Probably if I'd tested again it would have been different also. Now which one should I take as correct? 4.5 will be too low to go to bed without having Carbs, 5.3 a little better. It would be great if the tests were consistent. I'll test before I do go to bed, and then decide whether a biscuit is necessary.:confused:

I tested before bed and it was 6.3. I didn't trust it so had a digestive. I think I'll give the meter company a call tomorrow to see what they say about it.

Great idea. I tested in the same finger. Think I'll have a digestive with a nice cup of tea. Goodnight, and good luck tomorrow!

I've noticed discrepancies that big before with all the meters I've had. For my own sanity I have to ignore it.

I test at regular intervals and take whatever result I get.

If I test too often, especially when hubby is around, he goes into mother hen mode and fusses. It's nice to know he cares, but when you don't need that level of care it is a pain.

Not so bad testing often at work and it re assures most people I am not about to keel over or gasp my last. They only help if I ask for someone to get me a sugary drink and some biscuits.

Look at the control range on your strips - it usually is about 6 to 8 on OTU strips so the manufacturer considers a result accuracy of + or - 1 to be acceptable!!!

Usually if I suspect a result I will wash my hands again, dry them carefully, make sure I have a large drop of blood (because after contamination of the skin the most likely reason for a bad test is slow or interupted filling of the strip) and then trust the retest.

as WG said it'll drive you mad if you think about it too much and test every finger. i heard of someone testing 3 times each time and then averaging the result, dunno how long they kept that up.

Back in the day when they didn't have meters they relied on how they felt, so if i was you I'd have gone with how I felt and gone with 5.4 as being the most accurate.
would it have affected your dosing if you'd have gone with the 7 over the 5?

I reckon it's always worth estimating my blood glucose level before testing, particularly for morning, evening, before meal tests. I'd always go with the meter result rather than an estimate before driving and exercising, though.

as WG said it'll drive you mad if you think about it too much and test every finger. i heard of someone testing 3 times each time and then averaging the result, dunno how long they kept that up.

Back in the day when they didn't have meters they relied on how they felt, so if i was you I'd have gone with how I felt and gone with 5.4 as being the most accurate.
would it have affected your dosing if you'd have gone with the 7 over the 5?

I felt about 4, so 5.4 was the closest to that. I have been estimating recently before testing and have corresponded closely with the meter as a rule, that's one of the reasons why I didn't trust the 7.9 at all and wasn't too convinced by the 6.5. If I'd believed the 7.9 I would have probably dialled up an extra unit of novorapid which should correct me down by 2 mmol/l.

If I'd believed the 7.9 I would have probably dialled up an extra unit of novorapid which should correct me down by 2 mmol/l.

then it was significant as you would have likely gone low if you'd done that.

I've heard that some DAFNE courses teach not to correct until above 10, maybe this is one of the reasons as you can be playing with close margins below that number. I used to correct anything above 7 if I could but a DSN wants me to correct only if over 15, I usually correct above 12 though as a compromise.

then it was significant as you would have likely gone low if you'd done that.

I've heard that some DAFNE courses teach not to correct until above 10, maybe this is one of the reasons as you can be playing with close margins below that number. I used to correct anything above 7 if I could but a DSN wants me to correct only if over 15, I usually correct above 12 though as a compromise.

I've done very little by way of correction since I was diagnosed, as (if the meters are to believed!) I rarely go above 10. I'm usually heading the other way, so most of my correcting is extra snacks rather than extra insulin. I think that is probably because I'm a little on the generous side with the insulin when carb-counting as I feel better with tight control, but I also feel that I'm still trying to get the hang of everything and often wish that life was simpler!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back