Three reasons to promote self-care

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Sir John Oldham lays out the clinical, organisational and systemic reasons to commission more self-care and co-management schemes.
My guess is that if you did a straw poll of clinician views on the subject of self-care and co-management by patients, a majority would be in the ?fine if it happens, but I can think of many patients who can't do it' camp. There would be some who would believe it is an unrealistic expectation, and others who would be strong advocates.
Self-care is not just a ?nice' thing to do. It leads directly to improved clinical outcomes. Practices will also gain both in terms of patient appreciation of their services but also through efficiencies created in the utilisation of their staff and services.
The NHS is not sustainable unless we embrace more actively the users (and indeed shareholders) of the service in care itself and it is now a necessity. It does not need to be GPs themselves who undertake the lead in helping patients self-care, but CCGs or practices should identify those at the front line who need to receive the necessary training, and link that to HR appraisal and their strategic plan.
As professionals we are not taught how to transfer knowledge to patients. Most of us feel our way and many may hesitate because they see it as time consuming. Firstly when I began as a GP the definition of a professional was a possessor of knowledge. Now I am an interpreter of knowledge because that knowledge is more widely available to people.

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/main-co...-care?sp_rid=NjU3NzMyNzAyOQS2&sp_mid=39018721

(free registration required)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back